Potential flooring material?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
Saw this dimpled rubber material on the bow of a showroom boat (a Lowes at Cabelas), and am thinking this might just be just excellent as a flowing material: Rubber, high traction, low noise, wash off with a hose, etc.

Does anyone know about this or any similar material?

I'm putting a new floor in a tinny and am thinking this would make a great cover material over the treated plywood....

Attachments

• flooring material.JPG
    flooring material.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 1,381
The weight of floor covering like this is much higher than the weight of carpet. I was originally looking at a black diamond tread pattern mat for all of my floor coverings but then I looked at the shipping weight of the roll. It was 70lbs. My roll of carpeting was about 40lbs. And premium carpeting was cheaper.

Don't forget - NEVER USE PRESSURE TREATED PLYWOOD IN AN ALUMINUM BOAT!

-CN- said:
... looking at a black diamond tread pattern mat for all of my floor coverings but then I looked at the shipping weight of the roll. It was 70lbs. My roll of carpeting was about 40lbs. And premium carpeting was cheaper.
... and premium marine vinyl will be 1/2 that weight yet again and last 2-3 times longer!

I bought my first metal from a spry 82yo Gentleman, a retired officer in the Army Adjutant General Dept. The reason I mention it is after this many years later the impression he made on me. Everything required or needed in a small boat was there and I still carry the flare kit and anchor. He said, "you'll not buy a better one new," and wish I had never sold it.

But...there were 1/2" marine plywood floor inserts in three sections. Each had a 2" X 3" cleat underside along the front and back that squeezed against the floor ribs same thickness as the depth of the ribs.

Two 3/4" holes were bored, one each side, to stick you finger in and lift the sections. It was painted both sides with marine gray with a bit of texture (sand).

The boat was at least 10yo and I ran it another 5yrs. It never needed a new floor section, but if it had, since they were fitted drop-ins, lift them out and replace. I'm picking up a sheet of 1/2" marine plywood this morning, and it will not be bolted down, probably a self tapping ss screw along the ends because the weldbilt has level ribs and a 1" piece of 90* ell along the back and front.

Looking for that "old timers formula" Tiny Fleet.

looks like EVA foam flooring in my boat, mine is "blacktip jetsports" from Amazon, it's a copy of the HydroTurf brand, just costs less, then as mentioned there's SeaDek which is the super expensive one, 2 others are Marine Mat & Ocean Grip, i love my blacktip, had it in my 1546 & liked it so much i put it in my 1860 as well

It looks a lot like flooring used in the aerospace industry by Boeing and Airbus. If it is then it is semi-hard, has good traction and wears well. It would make a great floor if you can find the supplier. Maybe the boat manufacturer would share their supplier or at least give you a product name.

Latest posts