Custom "LITTLE" Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboard

Reaction score
Does anyone on here know a boat builder that would make a custom 10' jon boat?
Lets just say I wanted an all welded 10' Jon with a 42" bottom that's .100-.125 thick.
There's a guy on another forum looking for something like this and was wondering where he could get one built, seems like the heaviest bottom that he can find on one is .063 and he would like a heavier bottom than that.

Where in the world did he find a 1042 with .063" construction? The thickest I know of were Alumacraft 1036 at .053", the G3 1036 at .054 and the Alweld 1036 at .080"

I settled for wide with the Lowe 1040 @.043" construction.

gnappi said:
Where in the world did he find a 1042 with .063" construction? The thickest I know of were Alumacraft 1036 at .053", the G3 1036 at .054 and the Alweld 1036 at .080"

I think you misread the post, I said "lets just say" I wanted a Jon boat with a 42" bottom and a heavier gage bottom", in other words custom built.
The one he found is a Klamath 10' JAC boat with a .063 hull, specs say 53" beam but it doesn't give the floor width.
I'll mention that Alweld at him, he's more interested in the heavy bottom than anything.
Thank you!

overboard said:
gnappi said:

I think you misread the post, I said "lets just say" I wanted a Jon boat with a 42" bottom and a heavier gage bottom", in other words custom built.
The one he found is a Klamath 10' JAC boat with a .063 hull, specs say 53" beam but it doesn't give the floor width.
I'll mention that Alweld at him, he's more interested in the heavy bottom than anything.
Thank you!

Didn't mis-read it, the implication was that he found a 1042 with .063" :) Here's a spreadsheet screencap of 10-12 footers when I was looking to buy mine. That Klamath (just inserted into my spreadsheet below) likely has a 36" in water profile, it looks pretty good. My concerns / wants / needs were foremost weight of the hull to be able to hand launch easily out of my pickup bed, as well as max person / cargo capacity. Since most of where I fish is sandy bottom hull thickness was of little concern.

tin_boat_specs_a10-12ft.gif

The reason it seems like he is interested in a heavier bottom is that he says he wore out the transom area dragging his 10' boat in and out. He mentioned that he used that boat a lot for hunting and fishing in a tidal area and some small ponds, and just wants the heavier bottom so it doesn't wear through as fast. He didn't say if he had a trailer or just loaded it into the bed of a truck.

overboard said:
Does anyone on here know a boat builder that would make a custom 10' jon boat?
Lets just say I wanted an all welded 10' Jon with a 42" bottom that's .100-.125 thick.
There's a guy on another forum looking for something like this and was wondering where he could get one built, seems like the heaviest bottom that he can find on one is .063 and he would like a heavier bottom than that.
I was wondering why you want to go that thick? Are you sick of twisting flexing and cracking boats? You may have a specific use like rock hopping or hauling logs. The problem with what are deemed to be good thicker boats that are common like G3 is that they are poorly constructed out of cheap China grade aluminum. The engineering structure and welding is not there so they flex and crack. Face it most tin boats are so poorly constructed that they flex. There are plenty of custom tin boat builders or build to order boats on the east and south so you should be able to search them out and ask for thick but what are you getting besides a dent proof floor? Personally I'd buy the 8.5 or 10' Klamath Jac and take it in the shorts with California pricing and shipping. Those boats don't flex. They don't break and are engineered to take a pounding that the others never see. In fact I may be out on a limb but I think Klamath is the best high quality mass produced tin boat manufacturer on the market right now. They have a large lineup and long history making strong tins for ruff water. Poke their site and web and deside if you just want mega thick or you want great materials and more importantly great engineering and welding. https://klamathboats.com

overboard said:
The reason it seems like he is interested in a heavier bottom is that he says he wore out the transom area dragging his 10' boat in and out. He mentioned that he used that boat a lot for hunting and fishing in a tidal area and some small ponds, and just wants the heavier bottom so it doesn't wear through as fast. He didn't say if he had a trailer or just loaded it into the bed of a truck.

Huh, rather than building a whole new boat I would consider doing something to reinforce the bottom of the existing hull. Maybe add strakes or rub rails of some sort to the bottom.

LDUBS said:
overboard said:

Huh, rather than building a whole new boat I would consider doing something to reinforce the bottom of the existing hull. Maybe add strakes or rub rails of some sort to the bottom.

UHMW plastic. It's that hard cutting board material that they put on the bottom of river jet boats to make them slide across the rocks.

I did mention the UHMW to him, at least he's getting some options to consider, hope he posts what he finally decided on.

I'll build you whatever you want if you have the funds?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts