Any reason to NOT move batteries forward?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to move 2 batteries forward?

I have a 2007 1756VT Lowe that has 3 large batteries and a 6-gallon gas tank all in the stern hold. I have room up under the forward deck for the two trolling motor batteries (24 v system).

The boat squats in the stern, especially with my large butt back there. She is set up as a Side Console, even though the original owner bought her without the console.

Unless I find someone with a good reason to keep the setup as it is, tomorrow the batteries get moved.

I can't think of one. My tiller will have 2 batteries under the front deck and I wouldn't mind moving the gas tank forward.

Shoot, I have just one battery for starting the motor and would like to move it and my gaso tank forward. Other than running a thick cable I can't see why there would be a downside.

re the cable.... actually, the trolling motor is up forward and now the batteries will be closer than before.

I do have to consider the on-board triple charger cables, but they just might reach.

my last boat had 2 deep cycles mounted forward and my new one will as well.go for it.i also added anderson connectors to all of the connected wires as well.

well, if the alternative is to reduce the fat butt, I'd move the darned batteries.

your choice, of course.

Merry Christmas

richg99 said:
Unless I find someone with a good reason to keep the setup as it is, tomorrow the batteries get moved.

I'll be your huckleberry. Batts go in the stern and gas goes foward for a reason. The smoothest riding part of a boat is in the stern. Batts don't like vibration and pounding. You asked but since your mind is set then AGM's take the pounding better and I doubt you drive real hard in the chop or over wakes. Just slow down over them and watch your back while wrestling in the fitment. Take pics and good luck!

The main arguments against it would be the pounding like mentioned and the cost of running new cables that are longer and thicker. I moved my battery forward and it's under the center console which I also moved forward. Since you're talking about 2 batteries, you might want to test it out and put both batteries up front with someone in the boat and float the boat to see how it sits.

I just brought the boat home and have decided to wait before moving the batteries.

I found that the place where they would fit is angled back quite a bit. My present batteries are the old-fashioned, lead-acid style. I am concerned that just putting around, or, worse yet, when hitting a lot of waves, the acid would spill out.

I'd have them in a battery case, but a battery case containing acid, sloshing around inside of my aluminum boat, doesn't give me good vibes. I am not even sure that I can put a top on the battery case, given the height restrictions. The new location would be pretty hard to get to in order to remove the case and check things as it is.

Sooner or later these batteries will die. Probably sooner because the original owner didn't properly fill them, which I found out after I bought the boat. When they die, I will probably buy sealed AGMs. They won't have any angle or spill issues.

Truthfully, I've only had this boat out 7 or 8 times. I really don't know its shallow-floating-capability very well. We shall see. Maybe I don't have to do anything. That would be a pleasant surprise.

Yup, squat is bad and may be corrected with forward cells. OTOH if you have a rider up front, the reverse may occur, the bow diving and if a wave gets you the wrong way, well...

In my 1032 I have the very heavy cell midships to level the hull but it's so squirrely I don't take passengers. My new Lowe 1040 rides with a lot less squat and so far I will keep the battery in the stern as it rides flat even under "extreme" speed of 4 mph ;-)

Lastly of less concern is protecting cables from damage and increasing cable gauge to accommodate power for your TM if it's in the rear.

richg99 said:
Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to move 2 batteries forward?

I have a 2007 1756VT Lowe that has 3 large batteries and a 6-gallon gas tank all in the stern hold. I have room up under the forward deck for the two trolling motor batteries (24 v system).

The boat squats in the stern, especially with my large butt back there. She is set up as a Side Console, even though the original owner bought her without the console.

I would not move them up there unless they are AGMs (vibration resistant).

I destroyed two batteries in on one rough day on the Delaware river. They were never the same after that ride, and neither was I :shock:

I imagine my batteries will bounce as much on the road as on the water once they're strapped in place. Not huge up and down bumps, lots of little ones.

water bouy said:
I imagine my batteries will bounce as much on the road as on the water once they're strapped in place. Not huge up and down bumps, lots of little ones.
I have 3 batteries on my 1754.

Group24 in rear that runs the motor and jack plate. Motor has alternator.

An Exide stowaway deep cycle under the console that runs the fish finder and a plug for a spot light.

Group 27 up front under the deck for the trolling motor.

I have a 3 bank charger under the console.

The battery up front lasted 4 years before it needed to be replaced.

Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

beetlespin said:
I would not move them up there unless they are AGMs (vibration resistant).

I destroyed two batteries in on one rough day on the Delaware river. They were never the same after that ride, and neither was I :shock:

Which part of the Delaware were you on? I'm north of Trenton in Washington's Crossing which is not tidal and the only rough ride is from the occasional boat coming the other way. I've run from Trenton down towards Philly which is tidal and it was rough in my sprint boat with the tug boat wakes. In that scenario, you would want to put some sort of vibration absorbant material under the battery to help minimize any potential damage. Most mod v boats don't take serious waves/wake very well so your local scenario would really determine if it might work or not.

I had my group 31 under the bow deck and moved it to the stern. The added weight on the bow made the boat bow heavy, even on plane. Now I have 2 group 31's at the stern and she still site level.

As for the charger, you can splice in longer wires. I did, I left the charger under the bow and spliced in longer wires to the batteries in the stern. No issues. Just make sue you move the fuses next to the batteries.

Latest posts