anchors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
i managed to aquire a bnib minn kota deckhand 40 for about half the retail price,and a quick release plate and remote switch to go with it.according to the instructions i need minimum of 25 lb. anchor.my biggest (heaviest?) is 20 pounds without chain.i'm considering using it for a rear anchor and keeping my 10 lb. i normally use out back for a spare because it tends to drag alot anyway.i'm looking at 25 to 28 lb'ers and i'm really interested in the richter style.does anyone use one of these and are they worth the $ ? they look way more versatile than the navy anchors i'm currently using,but are considerably more expensive,but they look way harder to get stuck.

25# seems obscenely heavy for a tinny. My parent’s 51’ 40,000# aluminum sailboat uses a 35# Danforth for a working anchor and a 47# Fortress anchor for its big hook.

It also has 200’ of 3/8” chain, but still...

I know a little bit about anchors and anchoring from my sailboat days.

If it is ONLY the weight issue that is determining what anchor to use, then I, personally, would add five lbs of anchor chain to your present 20 lb anchor...... as opposed to having a 25 lb anchor with no anchor chain.

The chain does far more to ensure good anchoring than most people know, IMHO.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-An-Anchor-Rode

yes,but either way i need a new anchor.my 10 lb. is insufficient to hold the stern.we prefer to anchor beam to the wind when we're chronamid fishing and the stern always seems to drag.i agree a 25 for a 14.5 tinny is a bit extreme for a lake,but i also river fish for sturgeon,and i'm done beaching on gravel,especially with a new boat,so i'm going to the anchor buddy system.the richter looks like a really good gp anchor,but that price tag..also,i don't think the winch will work with chain.especially 5 pounds worth.

I hadn’t thought of river current. That would definitely drive up your ground tackle needs.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have pontoon deckhand 40's on two boats and use an 18lb anchor with a short length of chain with no problem. I would give the 20lb anchor a try and go from there. In a river the type of anchor can also be critical or you will risk losing them if they hang up.

richg99 said:

You are correct. The chain will keep the anchor more perpendicular to the bed which gives it more grip as it tries to pull across the bottom of the lake/river/ocean. A rope only will tend to pull the anchor up depending on how much anchor line you have out. If you are in calm waters with no wind a simple rope will work fine. In rougher conditions a length of chain connected to the anchor will work much better.

KMixson said:
richg99 said:

You are correct. The chain will keep the anchor more perpendicular to the bed which gives it more grip as it tries to pull across the bottom of the lake/river/ocean. A rope only will tend to pull the anchor up depending on how much anchor line you have out. If you are in calm waters with no wind a simple rope will work fine. In rougher conditions a length of chain connected to the anchor will work much better.

It’s probably less relevant to tin boats, but long lengths of chain or full chain rodes also give an element of shock absorption because whatever strain is on the anchor line has to pull all of that curve out and lift all that weight before it can transmit any shock to the anchor. Nylon ropes do a similar job by stretching, but I think you get more cushion from the chain. Of course, with chain that cushion stops abruptly when you finally get the thing straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But that anchor chain isn't going to roll up on a Deckhand. So it defeats the whole point of having the Deckhand.

I'm interested in feed back on the anchor style

well.i got the richter anchor delivered to the wifes shop yesterday.very impresses with the build.it looks like a freaking mace.i think it will do the job nicely.it isn't as big as i thought it was going to be.

Latest posts