2003 Bass Tracker Livewell Pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varnco

Reaction score
So, it appears that one of the ports where the cables connect for my livewell has broken, where the hose connects to the pump (top hose in picture)

So, I need an entirely new motor and housing.

2003 Bass Tracker 185

I can't seem to see how the pump comes out. There's a metal plate that the pump is attached to, but the plate goes under the gas tank.. there's an itty bitty screw (bottom right of picture), but there's no way that's holding the pump and the switch for the livewel
l
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwhcbple12kysys/ScreenShot013.jpg?dl=0

Any help is appreciated.

From the picture, I can't make out where it is attached either. If I had to guess, I'd assume that the top (right-hand side) has the other hose run through a hole in the metal plate, with a nut hidden on the bottom????

Can you pull the screw that seems to hold the metal plate so that you could get a better view?

If not, can you get the model number/manufacturer information off of the pump? If you could look at an unmounted unit, you might be able to figure out what the previous owner did.

Well, I took a video and took some screen shots.

It "appears" that it should unscrew from the bracket (of course, it won't budge, and one can't get leverage).

It also appears that there is some sort of plastic nut - which I'm 99.9% sure will break in two as soon as any pressure is applied to it or anything connected.

I was hoping that someone has done this before and can help before I start putting to much pressure on things I shouldn't be.

Thanks in advance.

First Pic - you can see where I connect the hose has broken. You can also see near the small stop sign symbol the housing has deformed as well.
2nd and 3rd Pic - you can see where the white housing for the pump connects to a metal bracket.. and there appears to be a off-white rubber something (that will break)

From left to right: valve|plastic nut|bracket|rubber|pump housing

My guess is that it unscrews from the bracket...

I don't think those 4 screws will work.. I think it's just part of the housing

Attachments

• ScreenShot015.jpg
    ScreenShot015.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,405
  • ScreenShot016.jpg
    ScreenShot016.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,405
  • ScreenShot017.jpg
    ScreenShot017.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,405
So, I removed the 4 screws from the bottom using a philips and got the housing off. It leaves the base there, with an o-ring where the motor housing attaches to the base.

"Rule Pro-Series 500 Aerator Pump" is what its' called. Need to see if I can't track that down now.

Attachments

• ScreenShot020.jpg
    ScreenShot020.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,401
FWIW, the motor seized (likely due to debris) and then melted the motor cartridge and the outside housing. The pump says to use a 2.5amp fuse, but the fuse block had a 5 amp fuse (that blew)...

Attachments

• ScreenShot019.jpg
    ScreenShot019.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,374
  • ScreenShot017.jpg
    ScreenShot017.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,374
Well, it is now destroyed anyhow. You weren't going to be able to save it none-the-less.

That is one of the few Rule pumps that I know that screwed on, instead of being held with small plastic clips.

The best part of the plastic clips (if they don't break) is that you can remove the motor portion for cleaning or replacing without removing the base. You can re-use the base...easy, peeasy

They are sold everywhere, including many WalMarts.

Thanks for pointing out the issues with 5 amp fuse/breakers when they need 2.5 amp protection. At least the too-large fuse blew before melting some wires. A jammed bilge pump motor is a pretty common thing.

Good luck.

richg99 said:
Well, it is now destroyed anyhow. You weren't going to be able to save it none-the-less.

That is one of the few Rule pumps that I know that screwed on, instead of being held with small plastic clips.

Actually, it has the plastic clips, it's just that the motor melted, and the exterior housing melted, so it didn't want to come off. I will be trying to remove the base that is left and replace the whole thing. It's weird that the pump screws directly into an open/close valve. It scares me that I'll break the whole thing off.

I have just determined my 2003 Bass Tracker pump has melted and looks almost identical to yours. Mine also had a 5 amp fuse where it should have had a 2.5 amp. How did you get the remaining portion of the pump out? I can not find the clips you are mentioning. Thanks

Latest posts