Transom screws ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearclaw

Reaction score
IMG_1839.JPGI am going to put some new paint on a project boat real soon. The transom is in good shape. It has several screws on the very rear / back of the transom. Some looks to be below the waterline. They have some type of gasket on them. My question is should I try to back them out and put a little 5200 around them and tighten em back up before the new paint? Could I just smear a bit around the head or just leave it alone. I'm not real sure what the screws do.

If there is a wood transom in the boat. Just put a bead around them and paint over. But do some investigation and see if they are leaking. If so then yes back out and resealed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-4 fellas it IS a wood transom. I'm unsure if they leak any. If the do it was not noticible. I let the oat sit in water for a day and didn't really see any water inside. The boat has been sitting for a year or so. The rubber washers on a couple of the screws look cracked and broken. Here's all of them. Only a couple would be below the waterline.IMG_1842.JPG

Just a guess on my part, but I'd assume that the transom was replaced at one time with new wood. All of those screws were placed there to affix the metal to the new transom wood.

I'd wiggle the transom to look for any movement. If none, and since it is a "project boat", I'd coat the top of each screw with a Paintable Sealant ...........(3M5200 doesn't take paint very well, but would be my choice if you aren't concerned about the outward appearance).....
and leave well enough alone.

If water is getting in, I think that the transom wiggle would show it.

Silicone is not good on aluminum. There are caulk type products that are safe to use on aluminum.
I can't remember the name off hand but will try to find it. You could warm the screws with a heat gun and drip in some super glue.

Latest posts