Ethanol and old motors.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macawman

Reaction score
Lots of stuff out there on the internet about using E10 gasoline in old 2 cycles. Most of it contradictory. Do any of you use E10 in a 2 cycle? If so, any problems or recommendations?

I use ethanol free when I can get it... but if I can't, it doesn't stop me... ethanol gas probably hurts newer motors more.... lots of rubber and gadgets on those.... but that 56 will burn it without too much worry... not much can go wrong on a motor that crude... It might have long term effect on parts in your carb etc..... but those parts are easily replaced...... That motor was designed to be run with 30 weight motor oil slopped into the gas..... It would probably run on bacon fat....

I have a '96 2 cycle 50 hp Johnson that I've run on 10% Ethanol for a number of years.

I always used Sta-Bil when I both ran and Winterized her. I use non-ethanol gasoline if I can find it.

I'd worry somewhat about the rubber hoses and other rubber type fittings being affected by the ethanol. Right after I started using 10% Ethanol, I had to replace the bulb and gas line from the tank to the engine. Since then, no issues at all.

I replace the spark plugs every summer, sometimes twice, but that may be because much of my fishing is on No-Wake lakes.

Shaugh said:
I use ethanol free when I can get it... but if I can't, it doesn't stop me... ethanol gas probably hurts newer motors more.... lots of rubber and gadgets on those.... but that 56 will burn it without too much worry... not much can go wrong on a motor that crude... It might have long term effect on parts in your carb etc..... but those parts are easily replaced...... That motor was designed to be run with 30 weight motor oil slopped into the gas..... It would probably run on bacon fat....

Agreed!

Use ethanol-free if you can. If you can't, just do some basic maintenance and don't let it sit for too long. Always use an additive.

Amazon has fuel tubing, clamps, in-line filters, spark plugs, etc etc ..... just stock up and replace stuff every year or so.

I'm kind of particular ... so every time I come home from fishing I run the motor dry, drain the carb, and dump ALL the extra gas in my truck. That way the gas doesn't sit around and I always use fresh gas in the boat. That might not be a great idea if your motor uses mix though. Kinda smokey.

My latest addition to my addiction is a 50 hp 2 cycle Merc. that uses mixed gas......BUT...the mixing is done inside of the engine.

The oil reservoir sits atop the engine in the front. I add oil as needed into the reservoir and it mixes it on the go.

Now, I can dump my unused gasoline into my van!

Shaugh said:
clearly a well researched answer :roll:

Hmm, bacon fat? Someone has to fry up and eat the bacon to get the fat. This could be a win-win situation.

Thanks all for your input.

Never take internet advice too seriously.... :wink:

There are 2 basic problems with ethanol, some gasket and hose material is not compatible in the older motors and will deteriorate more rapidly with ethanol use, and the second is that it is corrosive in that it will bond with water and water is corrosive. Water does not mix with gas but ethanol will mix with both, and this is a problem for all motors though. If you run it through your engine on a regular basis ( it is always fresh) like in your car there is little problems but, if it sits it will cause corrosion. There are additives that can reduce or even stop most of the corrosion problems but there is a limit to everything.

richg99 said:
My latest addition to my addiction is a 50 hp 2 cycle Merc. that uses mixed gas......BUT...the mixing is done inside of the engine.

The oil reservoir sits atop the engine in the front. I add oil as needed into the reservoir and it mixes it on the go.

Now, I can dump my unused gasoline into my van!

2 cycle oil mixed with gas will not hurt your van at all, you are probably talking about a small amount anyway and it will be even more diluted when added to the van gas tank. I used to put mixed gas in my truck gas tank all the time, when i had a 2 stoke that used mixed gas, never had an issue, no smoke either.

From what I have read, the oil in the gas will mess up the catalytic converter.

"https://www.diyautoworksng.com/things-that-damage-catalytic-converters/"

7. Contamination: This can be by oil or coolant if you have a worn or leaky head gasket respectively. Both will manifest as white smoke from the tailpipe but the one caused by oil will have a bluish tint.

Once the functioning of catalytic converters is compromised, you develop a “catalytic converter below threshold” code. Commonest is the P0420. Help keep you cat healthy!

For guys who do this, how long will you let gaso sit in your boat's tank before you feel you need to empty it into your vehicle? I run my boat (4 stroke) frequently year round and am constantly adding gaso to the portable tank. I thought this would pretty much eliminate the ethanol problem but am not sure.

all the more reason to add a water/fuel separator to your fuel system.i was told by a dealer that new yamahas require it for warranty.it was included with the boat/motor package i was looking at before i decided on an etec.

richg99 said:
From what I have read, the oil in the gas will mess up the catalytic converter.

"https://www.diyautoworksng.com/things-that-damage-catalytic-converters/"

7. Contamination: This can be by oil or coolant if you have a worn or leaky head gasket respectively. Both will manifest as white smoke from the tailpipe but the one caused by oil will have a bluish tint.

Once the functioning of catalytic converters is compromised, you develop a “catalytic converter below threshold” code. Commonest is the P0420. Help keep you cat healthy!

All motors use oil, again the amount of oil you are talking about adding is so minimal I seriously doubt it will cause any issues, mine never has but, it doesn't hurt to be cautious and if you don;'t think it is right then by all means don't do it.

Many people say keep the tank full, less air means less possibility of water, me I have always done the opposite, when i put gas in my tank it is only enough for the day plus some extra cause I don't want to run out, that way I almost always am running fresh gas. If your gas sits for 6 months and you never put any kind of additive in it then you might want to dump it however, I have let mine sit for a year again with no issues but, i will always add fresh gas and I usually use an additive.

Latest posts