leaky rivets.....an after thought

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalninm

Reaction score
So I have a few leaky rivets on my hull, being that I already have it put back together and completed on the inside the rivets, Cant get to the rivets to replace them, and I know its not the best way but I am looking for an easy fix for this. I was thinking about wire brushing around the rivet to clean off the paint around it, then coating it with epoxy and letting it cure. What I'm more concerned about though is I have two hairline cracks in the hull about 3" long. Couple options I was considering include RTV, Epoxy, or welding. What concerns me with welding is I have sheet foam on the other side of the hull and I like to keep my boat not on fire. Any thoughts on this stuff? Yes I know this is like cutting corners but I never did a leak test and now I'm paying for it but the boat is not getting disassembled.
Thanks guys

No goo is going to stop that crack from growing.

Seeing that you don't have access to inside of hull, I would clean up the area & apply an exterior patch of aluminum material, at least 2 inches bigger than the crack all sides. Use 3M 5200 on primed surfaces. Pop rivet the patch on with 5200 wet (no hurry, it stays wet for a full day!). Put 5200 over the rivets too.

Good luck

Ditto, but drill out the ends of the cracks to stop them from growing.

You could also use G-Flex 650 flexible epoxy. It will weep into places that 5200 will only ‘cover’. Personally, I find LifeCaulk by BoatLife Company to be an equivalent product to 5200, but can be found cheaper and the tubes last 2-3X longer.

But if it were mine, I’d be using the G-Flex, lookie here: https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40954&hilit=G+flex+650

So drilling out the cracks and adding the G-flex? That's it or is the patch still necessary?

And just curious you say aluminum material for the patch? Is this different than just normal aluminum?

I appreciate the offer but I still have quite a bit of Aluminum laying around that I took out of the boat, so in theory that should work. And I just want to use the aluminum to sandwich the epoxy? then rivet it together? Is that pretty much the gist of it?

Would some glass cloth and epoxy resin work to patch the cracks?
Since I laminated my new transom boards with the Raka stuff I been finding all kind of other uses for it. Wonderful stuff.
I just don't know how well it would adhere to bare aluminum or how long it would last in an exterior hull underwater location.
I do like the pop-riveted aluminum patch sealed with 5200 suggestion--sounds good to me.

davedude said:
Would some glass cloth and epoxy resin work to patch the cracks?
Since I laminated my new transom boards with the Raka stuff I been finding all kind of other uses for it. Wonderful stuff.
I just don't know how well it would adhere to bare aluminum or how long it would last in an exterior hull underwater location.
I do like the pop-riveted aluminum patch sealed with 5200 suggestion--sounds good to me.
Raka is awesome stuff for sure and all of the boaters I know in my area use that in place of West Systems for typical repairs, even when installing complete new full transoms in 'cut out' boats that had OBs mounted on the stern, or when glassing in I/O holes to convert the hull to OB on a bracket.

However, that G-Flex 650 is a FLEXIBLE epoxy and that is something Raka does not have. For sure you could use a cloth saturated with G-Flex and put into place. But read up on patching tin boats using that G-Flex by the link I posted, as that's how I'd do it.

The advantage to the riveted patch is that you always have the mechanical connection even if the chemical bond fails.

Just FYI, yesterday I was under my jet -jon fixing a pinhole leak (from my rebuild last fall). During the install, I had piled up a tall bead & it still didn't fully wet out in 1 spot. So buyer beware - maybe the G-flex is the way to go.

kalninm said:
So drilling out the cracks and adding the G-flex? That's it or is the patch still necessary?

And just curious you say aluminum material for the patch? Is this different than just normal aluminum?

Just wanted to make sure you understand that you stop drill the crack. You find the end of the crack where it's currently stopped and take a small drill bit and drill a hole at that spot. This should stop the crack from growing longer.

Yup I got that, however if I were to patch it with the .125" aluminum I have not that would be tough as all my cracks are just hairline cracks and jump from one rivet to another so the rivets would keep the patch off the actual body of the boat and where the crack is by a little bit. I could use the glass cloth like in the G-flex demonstration, but I was wondering would aluminum flashing work? Easy to form around the rivets, I can still rivet it in place as well, and cheap..... Just trying to figure out what to use as a patch. Also, if the crack jumps from one rivet to another but no further should I still drill it out maybe in the middle? Cause it's really just jumping from one hole to another. Last night I cleaned up the areas with cracks or leaky rivets and threw some 5200 one 5 of the 6 leaky rivets, the 6th one was still drying from my leak test on Monday.

Yes, in that article I uploaded by G-Flex it says you drill a round hole or file a round feature at the end of the crack. Look at the crack they repaired!

Attachments

• Hole2.jpg
    Hole2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,535
So I drew a quick pic on paint, is this ok? if I use the .125" aluminum I have this is what it is going to end up like with that big gap between the patch and the hull because of the rivet heads. Now if I used something like aluminum Flashing I may be able to get a better form fit around the rivet heads, or I can make the patch small and just lay it in between the rivet heads.... Thoughts?

Attachments

• Aluminum Patch.jpg
    Aluminum Patch.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,527
Fair point lol. However I think I got it all figured out and put the first of 3 patches on last night. Going to cut out and apply the other two on Wednesday most likely. Then it's just the waiting game.....if nothing else 5200 will teach you to have patience! Cure time is crazy long lol, thanks for all the input here. I''ll post up some pics on Wednesday with before and after shots along with the patch and how I did it.

Alright so last night I made and applied the other two patches I needed. This time I took pictures though since everyone loves pictures. So as discussed before, measured and cut out patches to fit over the cracks I had. I did also round the corners, get rid of any sharp edges and rough up the surface a little bit. Drilled out holes in the patches for the rivet heads in the hull to come out of so the patch would sit more flush on the hull. Drilled a hole at each end of both cracks to avoid the cracks spreading. Then added four 3/16" holes in the patches for the pop rivets, using the patch as a template I drilled the holes into the hull and applied a liberal amount of 5200 to the rivets and crack. Put the patch on and proceeded to apply a little 5200 to each pop rivet before putting it on the patch. Once I had that done I went back around the patch edges, pop rivet heads, and hull rivet heads with more 5200 that I smeared on with my fingers. Doesn't look very pretty but once it cures up I'll add some bedliner over it to match the rest of the hull.

Attachments

• IMG_3614.JPG
    IMG_3614.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3613.JPG
    IMG_3613.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3612.JPG
    IMG_3612.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3610.JPG
    IMG_3610.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3609.JPG
    IMG_3609.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3607.JPG
    IMG_3607.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_3606.JPG
    IMG_3606.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,109
Ouch ... but you didn't PRIME or prep the repair spots beforehand as we advised ...

Here's proof in pictures as posted by Johnny below, that 5200 can attack unprimed tin surfaces. If not a saltwater boat, leave as is, as you will likely sell it before it becomes an issue ...

Attachments

• Aluminum Corrosion, Protected vs Unprotected.JPG
    Aluminum Corrosion, Protected vs Unprotected.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,101
I did clean the aluminum and rough it up with sandpaper I didn't use a chemical etch though. How would a chemical etch effect any reaction between 5200 and aluminum. Also no where on the tube did it say anything about prepping with a chemical etch, just to make sure there was some roughness in the surfaces to bond to, at least not anything I saw I'll put it that way. What specifically should I have done to prep it?

Typically here, we recommend zinc chromate acid etching before priming, painting or adding anything like epoxy or 5200.

But like I said ... don’t worry about it.

Latest posts