favorite backtrollers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Always liked the looks and utility of backtrollers which is how I plan do my 16 ft utility vee. But so many different layouts makes it tough to decide exactly how. Wondering if anyone has found a favorite factory or custom type. The dealers around here used to carry lots of jon type bass boats but these days they mostly carry huge ski boats so I like to look at boats on craigslist around the great lakes for ideas. Along with the ones on here of course.

My advice is that you answer these 3 questions and you’ll be closer to envisioning what you hope your layout requires.

1) Is this a multi-species craft or do you see yourself targeting one type of fish? Live well, bait well and rod storage options will depend on your answer. Striper fishing in the Carolinas calls for herring or shad, neither of which will thrive in a factory/OEN bait well.
2) Why do you fish? Tournament fishing calls for live wells and most of the conventional backtrollers offer these. If you are a catch & release guy or focus on something like trophy blue or flathead cats, those small live wells will either be worthless or become tackle storage receptacles.
3) How many will be fishing with you? A sixteen boat boat is plenty big enough for three if trolling, drifting or cut bait fishing. If casting for bass is you thing, you may find that two is OK but three is a crowd.

If you want specific brand advice, get a Lund catalog and pick and choose the features that match up best with what you intend to use your boat for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points. I'm starting to think I might be better off buying one already built since I stumbled into a nice job.

Latest posts