12' Montgomery Ward

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L4yerCak3

Reaction score
I bought this thing last year and cruised in it a couple times before work and the season demanded I stopped. This year I got out once or twice then just started pulling it apart and after a weekend on the Ottawa River with a friend I got the bug to get it back together but....I'm stumped. Anyways here's where I'm at currently.

bvZmL5r.jpg

The boat in its pretty much original as purchased condition. Nothing amazing had a few minor leaks that weren't worthy of me fixing immediomundo.
aphREXt.jpg

The middle seat coming out. The foam was in good condition. Ok, alright condition. Wasn't water logged so I can live with that. The wood, however, in all 3 seat bases was never treated for any water protection by whichever PO reinstalled them. Off to the burn pit once the fire ban is lifted.
j5poOaN.jpg

ws1VIoA.jpg

The "new" transom as replaced by PO. Some kind of adhesive/sealant was used on the exterior to affix it to the boat and seal it. Talk about a PITA to remove. I currently have a few small pieces to scrape off. I'm using an aluminum safe adhesive remover to take it all off. Lots of scraping.
F6pzvDG.jpg

A closer look at the sealant/adhesive bologne used.
YG8VS7n.jpg

LUoPW4h.jpg

His Holeyness, Sir Montgomery. This is about where I'm at with the transom. Kind of stumped as to how to fill all of these holes. Solid rivets? Epoxy and tin can? Any advice is welcome. I'd like to get my hands on whoever doubled up on the holes; some holes have been widened.
PqOg8bm.jpg

jSyTcr9.jpg

Currently laying a floor, testing the fit. Going to pick up some marine vinyl on my way down south next weekend. $16.99 a running yard seems ok to me unless anyone knows of somewhere cheaper. I'm a bit stumped as to how to run the floor to the bow, though, with the strengthening ribs in the bow. Should I run the floor right up over them?
Qb9jXHv.jpg

Somebody has added supports I believe due to the poorly drilled holes. Two per seat. Did this style boat originally have them? Judging by the holes and random assortment of fasteners holding them to the boat it doesn't appear so go me. Also they sit beyond the seat support and were oddly angled toward the seat fronts.
Again, advice, ideas, and criticism is gladly accepted.

Cheers,

Cak3

Looks good so far. I’d put an aluminum plate on the outside of the transom with 5200 in between.
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=44152
Here is a link to my Montgomery ward sea king boat refresh. I believe mine is older but similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Looks good so far. I’d put an aluminum plate on the outside of the transom with 5200 in between.
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=44152
Here is a link to my Montgomery ward sea king boat refresh. I believe mine is older but similar.

Looking sharp, I remember reading that a while back. I just measured mine after mentioning the length of yours to my kids and they asked how long mine was. Turns out my boat is an inch shy of 14' from bow cap to stern. Who knew? Not this guy. That being said I should be able to up the HP of my motor beyond 10, correct?
What would an appropriate weight limit and engine size be? I have no identifying markings on the boat aside from name.
Should I put a plate over the whole rear of the transom?
Dumb question but how do I then attach the wood? I've done some digging but haven't really seen an answer to this. Do I bolt the two pieces together through the transom? If so, how do I seal the bolt holes?

Only dumb question is one you don’t ask. What I really like to do and it’s easy for me because I’m a welder is to make a plate that goes over the top about 4-6” down on the inside and 10-14” down the outside and bolt through the wood. A bead of 5200 around the edge of the plate before bolting it sandwiches the sealant in. On one of my other boats I simply put a plate on both sides and bolted through.
1c5cabd99a5aa8c29fc754673ea4f552.jpg
67b862c11c37a9a635fac776275afa57.jpg

10-15 hp is good if you don’t add decks or a bunch of weight. 20-25 is oodles. There are some hp calculators if you want. Just put measurements in and do the math.

Latest posts