1965 Trailorboat Speedmaster 9 FT.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Chris

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1965 Trailorboat Speedmaster. I purchased it last year. It had been slightly modified by the previous (original?) owner. It appears to have originally had 2 benches. The front bench is still in its original location. The rear bench has been moved forward (to the middle) and the oarlock sockets moved aft.

I purchased the boat because I wanted a smaller boat than my 12 FT Klamath, to make it easier for me to launch and handle by myself.

I've had it out a few times on the San Francisco Bay, where I live. With the rear seat in its current position, I am comfortable paddling it in conditions which are probably too intense for such a small boat. With the rear bench so far forward, the front bench is not very useful. In front of the stern an extra mini bench has been added, but it seems too near the transom to be a good place to sit while operating an outboard. I'm assuming that it was added for the purpose of using an outboard. I want to make to be able to use a small outboard and am thinking about modifying the additional bench. I want to keep the boat as light as possible, but still be comfortable rowing or using an outboard and fishing. I'm hoping that some of you can make some good suggestions to help guide me into making this boat better for my needs.

halibut-7-22-18.jpg

speedmaster-1.jpg

speedmaster-specs.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

eaefd39d3670b32f122daf658041bdd9.jpg

I had a boat with a similar bench arrangement. An aluminum angle with a swivel seat was a good solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. If I'm looking at your photo correctly, you placed some angle diagonally to support the seat to the side. Something like that could work for me. I'd like to avoid using a seat. I want to keep the boat as simple and light as possible.

I don't know the answer to your question but think you are in the right place.

I did want to ask if you chase salmon over by California City? I did years ago (like 1980's maybe). Wonder if it is still active or maybe now it is a traffic jam. Years ago I spent a lot of time in SF Bay, the Delta, and even out the GG for bottom fish. These days I like the peace and serenity of lakes. Guess old age has softened me up. Haha.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
eaefd39d3670b32f122daf658041bdd9.jpg

I had a boat with a similar bench arrangement. An aluminum angle with a swivel seat was a good solution.

Did you actually book-match your floorboards? If so, that’s quite impressive.

That’s just a chunk of plywood. I got lucky on the looks. The other half of that sheet was my transom.

LDUBS said:
I don't know the answer to your question but think you are in the right place.

I did want to ask if you chase salmon over by California City? I did years ago (like 1980's maybe). Wonder if it is still active or maybe now it is a traffic jam. Years ago I spent a lot of time in SF Bay, the Delta, and even out the GG for bottom fish. These days I like the peace and serenity of lakes. Guess old age has softened me up. Haha.

California City is still a popular place. I can see there from my house. On some days there are a lot of boats there. I was getting close to there while paddling on Sunday, but it looked too rough for my little boat so I turned back.

I'm thinking about removing the small orinal bench at the transom and the new one that has been added in front of it and making a new single bench where those two are in a U shape.

"I'm thinking about removing the small orinal bench at the transom and the new one that has been added in front of it and making a new single bench where those two are in a U shape."

I would be thinking of the structural integrity should I remove any of the benches. But then apparently someone has already modified the original design. SF Bay can get pretty nasty and I wouldn't want the boat to fold up on me. If I follow, the U-shaped bench you describe would add structure. There are builds here on TB where a bench was removed and replaced with a wide gunnel, bench, or shelf.

Rather than add bench(es) back to the original design by the mfg, I assume your concept will be better for manning the oars. I got to give you credit for rowing out in the Bay with the tides and all.

So this is my rough draft.

speedmaster-rear-bench-1.jpg

It is sitting in the place where the original ransom shelf was and it extends to 1 inch beyond the bracket where the original bench had been, except for the area that I cut out for my legs to go while rowing.

My plan is to sand its edges a little smoother, put a quick finish/sealer on it and bolt it in, take it out and try rowing and using my little British Seagull outboard motor.

Latest posts