1963 Lonestar Eldorado restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSnooky

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just signed up to your forum and would like to pose a couple of questions. Tonight I am picking up a 1963 Lonestar Eldorado to bring home and restore. My background in the Coast Guard as a Bosun fits this aluminum hulled boat perfectly. However, I am finding it very difficult to find any detailed information about the vessel in the way of appearance. There are plenty of photos of restored boats on the net, but only bits and pieces of how the original vessels appeared both on their exterior and interior. Do any of the nice folks on this forum know where I might locate more detailed info, schematics, drawings, photos, or anything that may help me in bringing her back to her original glory?

I'm looking forward to documenting the entire project and would love to share the progress as well and hear any constructive input any of you may have. Thank you for your time, this is going to be a blast.

Congrats on the new boat. My father had a Lonestar with a hardtop. That was a lot of years ago and I have no idea what the model was. It had two lateral benches right behind the front seats. The hatch on the bow was in two pieces and hinged on each side (opened sideways).

Anyway, I look forward to following your project.

maybe this will help somewhat
https://www.google.com/search?q=1963+lone+star+eldorado+brochures&client=firefox-b-ab&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=2ahUKEwji_O6WnNLcAhUDDq0KHcZHCJEQsAR6BAgCEAE&biw=1488&bih=943

Okay, so I have stripped the old gal down to her bare hull, with the exception of pulling the motor and the windows. That should be done today. Not sure how to post photos, but would like to, so if anybody can tell me how that would be great lol.

First impressions:

While the previous owner had good intentions, they were freaking Screw Happy! Gonna be a lot of filling above the waterline. "Thoughts? Marine Tex?, Kitty Hair? Peanut Butter?"

The floor was in terrible shape, looked like 1/2 inch sheeting. I would love to hear what others have done in regards to flooring. I am thinking good old marine ply, glass over wood?

All of the foam had been removed and replaced with that Spray from a can crap! What a mess that was to remove.

They had glued carpet to the bare aluminum on the interior, so I am dealing with glue removal, but nothing I can't handle.

Finally, I would like to hear thoughts on the restoration. I am thinking of keeping the classic lines of the boat, but giving her some modern twists. I.E. - stainless deck fittings, rails, etc... Also considering keeping the helm outside like the previous owner had it, so the cabin can be used for over nighters. Would modifications like this be considered a sin on this forum?

Looking forward to your responses. Will post photos as soon as I figure out how hahaha.

Here is how I attach photos -- I use an Apple MacBook. If you use windows it basically the same.

1) size photos so they are no larger than 640x480 pixels (I do this in Preview but you would go to wherever you edit photos).

2) While in the "Post a Reply" screen, scroll down until you see a section that says "Upload Attachment". Click on "Choose File". (see image below)

3) Navigate to where your photos are and select the photo you want to attach. Click "Choose" in the lower right corner of that window.

4) Then click on "Add the File". This is back on the same place as in 2) above and the pic below.

5) Put your curser where you want the pic to be then click on "Place Inline" (this will be right below where you are typing your message>

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 8.13.23 AM.png

Okay, I am back. I hope the photos show up this time.

So, I am just about finished gutting her. Still need to get the daggum windshield and windows out of her, which is proving to be a pain in the butt. Will be dropping the motor today and removing the swim platform. Tomorrow I hope to put her in cradles so I can have the trailer free for rebuild and I can focus on stripping the bottom. Overall I think things are going well.

I am considering an aluminum floor? If I did so, does anybody have an opinion on what thickness of aluminum plate would be correct?

Carpet Glue is a booger to remove, period. (Just wanted to share that)

As for the two portholes in her bow, I would like to remove and or replace them. Has anybody done this and if so do they have a lead on where to find an adequate replacement part.

Please, if you can share your wisdom it would be appreciated.

I have ordered Gluvit and Zinc Chromate, for after I complete the filling and sanding, and intend to go with Interlux Topsides as a paint. The real idea was to go with a tintable topside paint, but I can't seem to find any that could color match to my requirements. Anybody?

More photos and information to come as the project continues.

Attachments

• aerialview.png
    aerialview.png
    498.9 KB · Views: 752
  • portprofile.png
    portprofile.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 752
  • portquarter.png
    portquarter.png
    548.8 KB · Views: 752
  • motleycrew.png
    motleycrew.png