Baltic birch ply for marine use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys, over on the teardrop trailer forums, Baltic birch plywood is held in extremely high esteem for two particular qualities -- uniform veneer layers completely free of voids, and the use of quality exterior glue. In many ways, trailer construction shares a lot of traits with boat building in that any wood components must be sealed and protected from moisture. I am wondering if any here use Baltic birch plywood for marine applications -- seats, transoms, dashboards, etc. -- assuming edges and faces are properly sealed and/or painted. It seems to be available at cabinet supply shops in 5 X 5 sheets, according to the teardrop guys.

I've used it quite a bit for furniture (drawer boxes, etc). It is a dream to work with, especially if you would be milling the edges. I used to buy it at a local hardwood supplier. It is pricey to be sure. If I wanted something like that for a boat I would probably go with Marine grade instead. However, as many here on TB advise and since you would be sealing and probably covering it anyway, I would think it would be overkill for a floor and would look at ext grade instead for a lot less money.

Keep in mind I've not done any of the TB build-out projects, so am just speaking from what I think and have read here as opposed to any first hand experience. My standard disclaimer - haha

I used 5/8" baltic birch and marine plywood in my Lund restoration project.

The marine plywood for surfaces that were carpeted (floor sections, bulkheads, etc). The baltic birch for compartment tops, seat benches, and dash panels.

In both cases they were sealed with two coats of "Old Timer's Formula" and then finished with at least two coats of spar varnish.

The Baltic birch was chosen for a quality of appearance. It cost me about the same price as marine plywood and both were available at a local big box store.

My boat is not abused (left out uncovered in the weather). I expect both plywood product to have about the same life.

20170718_154409.jpg

the owner of a boat like the one I am looking at. is redoing his in Baltic Birch Ply they originally were Mahogany..

Attachments

• IMG_0712[1].jpg
    IMG_0712[1].jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,104
  • IMG_0713[1].jpg
    IMG_0713[1].jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,104
  • IMG_0714[1].jpg
    IMG_0714[1].jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • IMG_0715[1].jpg
    IMG_0715[1].jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,104
That birch is beautiful. What's even cooler are the cabin doors!

Attachments

• IMG_0715%5B1%5D.jpg
    IMG_0715%5B1%5D.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,086
I could be wrong but, the Baltic birch is only birch on the surface, the interior lays of plywood are probably something else like poplar. I am also kind of surprised it uses exterior grade glue since this kind of plywood is mainly for furniture and is usually not used out doors. Unless this is some kind of special plywood.

If it is true "Baltic" birch it has birch core plies that are exterior glued. If it is called birch plywood (typically available at big box stores), it has birch veneers applied to the top and bottom and the core can be anything.

You need to ask your source for a manufactures spec sheet. If they are a reputable supplier they will have the sheet available to show you or will direct you to the manufacturer's website where you can view and download the spec sheet.

The spec sheet will grade the exposed plies, core material, glue type, voids, thickness tolerance.

Always shop wisely :shock:

I've never seen baltic birch in a big box home improvement store. Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere, but I've never seen it. Just offered as friendly conversation, but even cabinet grade birch ply would be hard to mistake for baltic birch.

Already mentioned earlier but it comes in odd sized sheets -- 60"x60" or thereabouts. In woodworking stores it is also typically sold in smaller sizes.

Latest posts