Rod Saver Alternatives?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I was looking to add a set of horizontal Rod Savers, like shown below, to my jon boat (seen in my sig link). The problem is that the Rod Savers brand have a mounting pattern too wide to attach to the ribs where they run up the sides. I'm sure I could drill and attach in the center but would rather get another version with mounting holes designed along the centerline. Just curious if anyone knew of any? I did see a set that fit the bill made by Boat Buckle but reviews were not too great.

1213653_74379_is

Buy a cheap cutting board at the Dollar Store, cut to size needed and mount the rod savers to them, then affix those pieces to the ribs.

If it were mine, I'd have those tabs cut off in minutes with a hacksaw, then filed to flush to look original, and would then mount via some screws or rivets that were centered.

I'd go with the better quality/rated holders in the long run.

Better quality/rated like who? I got the rod savers on my boat and they are okay but only last a few years and the rubber mount starts to deteriorate, the straps are fine though. I would like to find something better.

DaleH said:
Buy a cheap cutting board at the Dollar Store, cut to size needed and mount the rod savers to them, then affix those pieces to the ribs.

If it were mine, I'd have those tabs cut off in minutes with a hacksaw, then filed to flush to look original, and would then mount via some screws or rivets that were centered.

I'd go with the better quality/rated holders in the long run.

I was thinking of doing this. I just didn't want to void the warranty. And like Surfman mentions above, even Rod Savers are not having spectacular reviews here lately. I keep seeing references of them going from a proven design to some new style of holding foam that no one really likes.

If no brand really stands out, I will likely just go with the cheapest. I'd also really like an 8 rod version which may be more difficult to find.

baefdb428fef4a39358ce460d39e4753.jpg

This is what I did. Couldn’t find a 3 place set so I got a 6 place pair and cut them in half. River up top and cross drilled for a zip tie at the bottom. One pair did both sides of the boat. Been working good for 2 seasons, boat lives outside. If they crap out for some reason, they are pretty cheap at Wally World. Just came back from a trip where I trailered for 6 hours down some of Northern Ontario’s darndest roads, rods were right where they were supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re set on using rodsavers, why not get some aluminum flat pieces and make a mounting plate for them?

surfman said:
Better quality/rated like who?
I’d use these ... made from King Starboard, an HDPE-like super plastic ... LIFETIME guarantee! At least less the stretchy band.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/3-rod-gunwale-mount-rod-holder?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp5z5n4jz3AIVgYCfCh2GoglvEAQYASABEgI91PD_BwE#

I moor my boats 24/7 in the sun & weather and whenever I want to protect something from sun damage I just toss an old rag a T-shirt over it. Like OMC throttle/shift control, when not in use I cover it with an old T-shirt, take the two short-sleeve sections and tie a knot around the trim handle. Locks in place and covers the whole thing, still looks brand new!

Attachments

• 7A1577DD-6190-4331-B192-7E39E964188A.jpeg
    7A1577DD-6190-4331-B192-7E39E964188A.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,241
surfman said:
Here's an option you could try :)
PVC%20Rod%20Rack_zpsp9twrnvw.jpg

Hey, I like that! I will probably rig up something similar down the road. My boat has an 8ft open section in the middle so right now that will hold near all of my poles, however, I'm going to give longlining trolling for a crappie a try soon so those 10'+ trolling rods will require something like this.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
baefdb428fef4a39358ce460d39e4753.jpg

This is what I did. Couldn’t find a 3 place set so I got a 6 place pair and cut them in half. River up top and cross drilled for a zip tie at the bottom. One pair did both sides of the boat. Been working good for 2 seasons, boat lives outside. If they crap out for some reason, they are pretty cheap at Wally World. Just came back from a trip where I trailered for 6 hours down some of Northern Ontario’s darndest roads, rods were right where they were supposed to be.

I may also try this...but if I did I think I would add my own Velcro strap to stretch over it.

I purchased the vertical rod holders from Cabelas and gave them to my jet boat dealer when I ordered my new boat. He welded aluminum plate to the ribs then carpeted the plate. Screwed the rod holders to the plate. I was constantly getting into my rods when I had the horizontal rod savers with seats, coolers getting into them, kids getting into them while in their seats and swiveling in them. The rod savers didn’t last as long as I thought they should. Liking my new setup. I do not fish where there are potential tree problems. There is usually only myself and sometimes another person fishing and the rod holders are centered on the boat. When fishing from elevated front deck or rear deck the rods generally don’t get in the way when they are in the holders. During fishing season I keep my rods locked up in the bed of my truck under a hard cover so I don’t ever travel with my rods in my boat. They are easy to use. Quick to put a rod in and get one out. They are not in the way when operating boat. I run a tiller jet.
70a54beb6b0545091315b1adbb42609a.jpg

Sorry, the dealer screwed the plate to the ribs.

Latest posts