Bimini Top Installation Video

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain belly

Reaction score
Ive had my Jon Boat for several years now, and this summer decided to install a bimini top. I can't believe I hadn't done this years ago. Anyway.... when I went to research these tops, I found very little on Jon Boat bimini tops. The instructions on these things are in broken english at best. After I figured it out, I thought I'd make a video on how to do it and share it with other folks that may be having the same issues. Not sure if this video will load, but I'll give it a try. Hope this helps you all out!

https://youtu.be/jLZYqCJ6X10

That's a good video. I would say a bimini top is a very underrated boat accessory. I've had one on my boat for years and it makes hot summer and wet fall &spring days very comfortable.

clarkbre said:
I would say a bimini top is a very underrated boat accessory. ..... it makes hot summer and wet fall &spring days very comfortable.

Yes indeed! I only figured it for sun, until I got caught in a pop-up storm on the river..... sure was glad I had it. The other bonus that I use it for is to hang light weight stuff from it. I tied a couple of carabiners from it and one holds my hat and the other holds a light weight bluetooth speaker for my tunes. I also bungee my catfish dip net to it. tons of uses!

Nice video. How fast can you go with one on a boat, does it get in the way when fishing and does the wind ever catch it and tip the boat over.

water bouy said:
Nice video. How fast can you go with one on a boat, does it get in the way when fishing and does the wind ever catch it and tip the boat over.

The max my boat can go is 30 mph, and the top seems far from stress. Not sure the rating on int.
As far as 'fishing' goes..... I do mostly catfishing on a big river where I cast and sit, so I rarely have to collapse it. the only time I collapse the top, is when I'm pulling in trotlines and diddy poles. it is SUPER easy to collapse. You just unhook the front straps and it folds back out of the way. If I were to bass fish from the back of the boat, I would collapse the top.

I think biminis are probably underrated. Anyway, you did a really nice job on the video.

For me it is:

1) open the box.
2) Toss the instructions.
3) Measure twice and cut three times.
4) If it is still too short, return it for a refund.

:LOL2:

ny 1756 cc has one. i can max my speed out at 33/35. the manual for the bimini said do not exceed 35. no issues at my wot. why do u mount it backward? could u b more specific? mine does not interfer w the front or rear deck when fishing. the guy in the rear could take one of the straps loose if he had to. so far none in back has wanted to. thanks. of course mine is a little taller then a bass boat. i stand under it to operate.

mounting it backwards leaves everything back of the mounting bracket clear to troll,cast a fly or fight a fish without the frame being in the way.my rear mounting bracket is directly beside the seats so the frame is not impeding my rod holders.i just mounted a horizontal bracket made of 7/8 stainless tube ,2 jaw clamps and 2 flat brackets to the 2 verticals that form the v and now no need for a rear strap.mine is a 4 bow and covers a large portion of my boat.i just spent 3 hours cleaning the boat from the summer trip.i should have snapped a pic of the bimini setup.

Good video!

Is there a slide track or something that can be adapted to a classic jon boat like in the video to allow the whole setup to be shifted forwards or backwards in various locations?

wmk0002 said:
Good video!

Is there a slide track or something that can be adapted to a classic jon boat like in the video to allow the whole setup to be shifted forwards or backwards in various locations?

I don’t know of a track that would fit a rail, but what a great idea.

LDUBS said:
I'v'e seen T-tracks and mounting hardware specifically for Bimini frames. Should be easy to find in Google.

So you can buy a t-trac by itself and attach it to a classic jon?

Biminis are a love/hate relationship for me. I hate the things for all intensive purposes, because the only reason I am on a boat is to fish, and they make it much harder to fish without a doubt. But when it's too hot or a pop up rain shower comes, they sure are worth it.

wmk0002 said:
LDUBS said:
I'v'e seen T-tracks and mounting hardware specifically for Bimini frames. Should be easy to find in Google.

So you can buy a t-trac by itself and attach it to a classic jon?

You can buy a hardware package like the one shown below for about $40. Just google "bimini T track hardware" and you should get several hits. You might have to scratch your head on how to attach the track to a narrow gunnel, but if the standard bracket can be attached then there shouldn't be a problem attaching the T-track.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 1.39.46 PM.png

jethro said:
Biminis are a love/hate relationship for me. I hate the things for all intensive purposes, because the only reason I am on a boat is to fish, and they make it much harder to fish without a doubt. But when it's too hot or a pop up rain shower comes, they sure are worth it.

I tend to agree. But all-in-all I used the one on my old boat for shade more than I thought I would. I had mine set up so I could easily flop it forward if I had a decent fish on (unfortunately, that didn't happen as much as I would have liked. Haha).

we spend a good part of july/aug. trolling for lakers in the blazing sun.we couldn't do it without a bimini.and chronamid fishing in the spring=rain.i could never give mine up.in fact i lost the cover of mine so i bought a second 4 bow one just for the cover,and i plan to have side curtains and a front made of clear vinyl for the spare so i can do more winter fishing.

jethro said:

YES! It's funny how the 2 can be balanced. This brings me to a great point...... When installing a bimini top, make sure you get the quick release pins. We find ourselves folding the top as much as setting it up, on every trip. with the quick-pins, it really has been a lot easier to do. I give your statement 5 stars!

mine is held together with wire lock pins and 1 or 2 clevis pins.comes apart and folds up in seconds.now i just need a way to magiver some frame clips(the ones that keep the frame stacked so they don't rub).if anyone has any ideas,please share.

Latest posts