Heater Install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkbre

Reaction score
While this isn't a huge modification, it is an upgrade that may give others ideas.

My son (8) likes to go out with me but gets a little cold sometimes (he doesn't have built in insulation like me :lol: ). So, I was at my folks place last week and snagged their unused Mr. Buddy propane heater. Again, not a huge mod but I used 4 screws to create two hanging locations on the middle bench seat for the heater inside the boat. Used on the low setting, this should help keep the chill off for the kiddo and keep him fishing later into the season.

Disclaimer:
- I read the owners manual.
- The heater came with key holes on the back made for mounting to a wall.
- The auto shut off should not activate under trolling speeds on calm water
- The heater is mounted low enough that the flame wont blow out under trolling speeds
- It is mounted in open air with plenty of clearance (bimini top included) to not catch anything on fire.
- Again, mounted in an open air environment as to not light any potential gas fumes on fire.

Onto the pics:

Mounted to the front of the middle seat facing forward for the front passenger.
y4mel_4XKHr59l0Ggs5Iw9qnlREKsCemM4Cf3TJpNXAfrNEcpKE_kF2idbFbGhCvGgKQPzDaUkSanoP525NiN1A5tx3jo1K9F8VHjY9bVQulMQO_k-OV1QOio68v_TPSEpXBtr19DgnrmvcwCwO6DlQut7oX0Qh9mz_0TImMxV8idVdPyhizb3ly05oZjZY6bzi-FFG-1qowsBSmX5MDYup4g

Mounted to the rear of the middle seat facing backward.
y4m3hdfFTe0d6FdmBx7D1pxC3uDpywjN6UhZnyTgtNbigPNqaV-B7pIVHxNnAZIbnaay6OUZr9LB-aTszC9KUMElz66FLxQJL7k4aSIQGpq0t3XfQ7QncBeAhLzR_WFXAZDESkoxlg3stY8eokr7rOOc6HL4n5tQN7fgXAwFZq6MnmXMCNLFCIhnG-sECE9XnlilfFnJhyJGxsZzI-Nw-5-cQ

Nice, that is exactly what I use ice fishing all winter. Gets my portable hut up to t-shirt weather no problem. Also use it in my snowmobile trailer to heat it up if I need to do some work on the sleds.

Seems like it would be better mounted to the back of the front seat? Where does the kid sit?

surfman said:
Seems like it would be better mounted to the back of the front seat? Where does the kid sit?

In the chair up front. Thought about mounting it there but didn't want his legs to get burnt. Having it mounted to the front of the middle seat, he can lean forward and warm his hands but the heater is still a safe distance away.

Yeah, just be careful, don't let anything fall on top of it. I actually cook on top of mine while ice fishing using a little grate I made out of a paint roller.

As long as he can't touch it accidentally, kids squirm a lot, then that is good. :)

Latest posts