Spectrum dominator speed increase

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uct

Reaction score
Current motor 40 merc/force speed loaded about 25. What kind of speed could i expect with a 75 hp 2 stroke?

Going from 10hp to 25hp increased my speed by 13mph, or .86mph/hp. That's going to vary a lot depending on load, props, etc., and is not going to be directly applicable, apply that formula to your setup and you'll be doing a projected 50+mph, which is optimistic IMO. I'd say 40 tops, likely mid 30s.

I have a 1994 Dominator 16 with a 25hp Mercury and can get 25mph with just me in the boat. I would think that a 40 would get you to at least 30-35 mph.

MrGiggles said:
Going from 10hp to 25hp increased my speed by 13mph, or .86mph/hp. That's going to vary a lot depending on load, props, etc., and is not going to be directly applicable, apply that formula to your setup and you'll be doing a projected 50+mph, which is optimistic IMO. I'd say 40 tops, likely mid 30s.
With lower HP you'd be quite correct, when you go up in HP the rule mentioned about is close. As a kid I had a 7.5 HP that got me to 14 MPH, bumped it to a 15 and got 22 MPH.

With larger boats and HP that ratio drops off.

Latest posts