jack plate

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotodd

Reaction score
I've decided to try a home-made manual jack plate. 4" angle aluminum, some stainless fasteners, and some scrap oak plywood glued together to make the motor board. I have the concept down and have everything cut and put together as a mockup. My question is.....on the wood. What do you guys do to seal the wood so that it doesn't soak up water? I will be trying it with my little 25 yamaha on war eagle boat, if that makes any difference.

You can seal it with epoxy, after you drill all your holes make sure you get the epoxy into them as well, then you will want to paint over the epoxy with a good enamel paint. Epoxy doesn't hold up well with UV exposure and will get dull and flat.

I use the West System epoxy because it is more flexible. Then I spray polyurethane colour paint or clear coat depending on if the wood is seen or not.

Is the oak plywood made with waterproof glue?
I'd recommend the Old Timers formula to seal the plywood.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Is the oak plywood made with waterproof glue?
I'd recommend the Old Timers formula to seal the plywood.

Do not know. It was left over material from a cabinet shop. Red oak. Harder than hammered you know what; hard to even cut the stuff. What is the "old timers formula"?

It's a home made mix of mineral spirts, spar varnish or spar urethane and Boiled linseed oil.
Do search on the site.
If the plywood is not made with waterproof glue it's going to delaminate no matter how well it's sealed.

Latest posts