Super expanding foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
Maybe my current solution is working well enough and I may have to keep using it but I am thinking of something different to make loading the boat easier.

When I put my 10' Lowe in my truck bed, I have to protect the LED bar light from mashing into the Bak Flip articulated bed cover when I snug the boat into the bed. Right now I'm using two small craft fenders and it works OK but I thought maybe a form fitting foam nose protector of some sort (like the stuff they spray into plastic bags for donnage in shipping containers) I could leave in the truck bed would be one less thing on my pre-float list.

I tried a few cans of "Great stuff" sprayed into a garbage bag but it does not expand nearly enough. Since you guys have dealt with foam flotation of all sorts I hoped I could get some suggestions on making a bed / boat stopper that won't dust away from the weather.

Pics below if my description isn't clear. TIA for any advice.

lowe_boat_in_bed.jpg

bakflip_tinny.jpg

2 part expanding urethane foam might do it if you could somehow contain it in place while it's in its liquid stage. You might be able to sit in the boat on the bed mix the foam and pour it into a garbage bag then hold the bag with the liquid just over the bow so it expands and forms around the light.

It starts off as a liquid which is the tricky part.

It's rather expensive too, though you wouldn't really need a large volume to do what you're looking for. The foam I used in my most recent build would easily expand to fill that area with only a red solo cup full of liquid worth of mixed foam...well below any minimum order quantity.

There’s Versa Foam to. It expands 10 times its spray. Come in a 10 pound tank, gun , hoses . You just hookup the hose turn nozzle to spay, point and spray. It sticks to what you spray it on. And start to expand. It’s so precise and how you spray it. That you can build it up over and over again on top of it self. But after 30 minutes is bonded with in each others later. Hydrofoil race boats use it. It’s what I use when I refill my boat. I filled a massive crack between my driveway in the road curb calls the road is falling away from my driveway. And it’s hard as a rock. A lot of hotels use it for sculptures out in front so you can shape it and cut it down to what you need to fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about a removable lightbar? I did this with my boat to make it easier to cover and be out of the way when I wasnt using it.

jojo said:
What about a removable lightbar? I did this with my boat to make it easier to cover and be out of the way when I wasnt using it.

I've never seen a removable light bar, live and learn. For sure that would work, but ultimately (when a $1200 bill comes free) I'm likely to get a high topper for the bed and I won't need any protection for the bow.

I also like the light bar I have and I made (GASP) holes in my boat to mount it :). This one is bright enough to see without trying to re-invent the wheel, but good suggestion, thanks. Maybe that will help someone else with issues like you and I have.

Check the REDO In my signature. It uses a RAM mount so its very easy to take on and off. You can use any lightbar for this setup. My lightbar only cost $25, the RAM mount only in the $30 range, and then just used a 12v plug for power.

Make a mold. Line it with plastic. Fill it with two part foam, per OTW's post above. Will be like the molded dunnage in shaping boxes that you mentioned.

Then, there will be much happiness! :D

Latest posts