transom for Richline Challenger left outside all year

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieLearns

Reaction score
I just bought my wife's grandma's cottage which has a 14 foot Richline Challenger. The boat has been flipped over the the last several years and the transom and seats look like they are shot. My father-n-law replaced the transom last time so taking it off is not an issue since it is stainless steel screws. Last time I believe he used plywood and then primed and painted everything.

Now that I own it, I want to fix it so it will last. In the summer it will be in a hoist with the drain plug pulled. (drain plug was added last time). In the winter it will be flipped over. Is there anything I can do to make the transom last. Knowing the person who did it last time, I am pretty sure it was regular plywood.

For sure use marine grade plywood and if you really wanted to put something in there that will last you could use cypress. But you will sacrifice some weight and may have to glue some joints to get the width you want. Marine plywood properly prepared will last for years.

Even exterior plywood with edges sealed with epoxy and voids filled will outlast you.

Where you’re using SS bolts, drill holes thru plywood oversize & fill with thickend epoxy. Once cured, tap drill for the correct fastener size. Add nylon washers under the SS bolt heads and washer/nut ends, if SS is up against the tin.

The 1/2-gallon kit from www.raka.com would suffice, if using epoxy.

Latest posts