Gas Tank Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaero

Reaction score
Can an "on deck gas" tank be legally used under the front bow? I have a 12 gallon tank in the back of the boat that I want to move to the front of the boat under the front deck. I would have to open the front deck hatch to fill it up and to see how much fuel is left in it. At 5:37 in the video below I go over the rigging of my boat so you can see where I am at now. I will have to cut open the front bow and make a hatch to do what I am wanting to do.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9TtePU0hKeU

I don’t know about legality but I’d think you’d want to get a longer fuel line and try the boat with it sitting on the deck. 12 gal is a good bit of weight plus your battery, trolling motor, the deck itself and console position plus you...etc I’d think you’re possibly on the verge of front heavy unless you have a good sized fishing buddy who sits out back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it can but, if your gas tank is stored under the deck you will be required to have a fire extinguisher on board. That is what the FWC told me when I had mine stored in a rear compartment in the back of my boat. You can put it anywhere you want, but any fuel stored in an area where fumes may accumulate means a fire hazard.

The USCG regulation is that a gas tank fill point cannot be under deck. There is a specific test that an overflow must runoff the deck at a certain rate.

You will also need to have vent/overflow line above deck. It has to loop above the open end to function properly.

Why not get 2 6ers & remove them for filling, much safer.

CedarRiverScooter said:
The USCG regulation is that a gas tank fill point cannot be under deck. There is a specific test that an overflow must runoff the deck at a certain rate.

You will also need to have vent/overflow line above deck. It has to loop above the open end to function properly.

Why not get 2 6ers & remove them for filling, much safer.

Thanks that is what I was looking for. I guess I can't move mine and would have to get a permanent tank. I think the rear of the boat is overloaded (max size jet prop outboard on transom). I may to move whatever I can to the front.

Not that it matters, but I have the same 12 gal tank at the rear of my boat.

From the video your boat seems to ride and sit well, so maybe leaving the tank where it sits will be good. Of course I wasn't there and even more to the point, I'm no kind of expert.

Anyway, nice video and nice boat -- congrats.

The USCG reg are for boat manufacturers and do not apply to boat owners modifying their own boats.
I had my 12 gallon tank under the front deck of my 1436 duck hunting boat. The extra weight came in handy when breaking ice on my way to my blind.

I went to ABYC site but they want $50 just to read the std.

The summary does reference the USCG std though.

I would agree with the other posters. You already have a lot of weight up front, 2 batteries, console, you, plus other stuff. Leave the
gas tank in the back, having a portable tank in a compartment is not a good idea. I would suggest that you put that rear battery in a $10
box too, keeps stuff from shorting out those terminals. Also a good idea to stow dock lines when under way, they can fall overboard and
get tangled in props or other moving parts. Very nice setup you got there and you did not get skunked, I am sure the "elusive bluegill" has
saved a lot of new boat owners from getting skunked.
Tim

earl60446 said:
I would agree with the other posters. You already have a lot of weight up front, 2 batteries, console, you, plus other stuff. Leave the
gas tank in the back, having a portable tank in a compartment is not a good idea. I would suggest that you put that rear battery in a $10
box too, keeps stuff from shorting out those terminals. Also a good idea to stow dock lines when under way, they can fall overboard and
get tangled in props or other moving parts. Very nice setup you got there and you did not get skunked, I am sure the "elusive bluegill" has
saved a lot of new boat owners from getting skunked.
Tim

I do need to lose weight myself. :lol:

When I walk to the back of the boat the trolling motor comes nearly out of the water. If I run with someone sitting in the back of the boat it starts porpoising. If they are up front everything is fine. I hit a stump going around a curve in skinny water while a lightweight buddy was sitting in the back. I am positive the stump was over a foot deep as I didn't see it (I saw and avoided other stumps). My 65hp Merc is a heavy motor (90 hp top end). Having a gas tank up front may help even things out as long as I don't put a huge one up front. Put a 10 gallon tank up front with gauge and keep a "get-home" 1 gallon tank in the back strapped down. That is moving 60-70 pounds from the back to the front of the boat.

Latest posts