Should i buy this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d-camarena

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I was sent here from another site, i was told you guys take aluminum boats very seriously. I sold my fiberglass boat because it was too heavy to fish at electric only lakes. I need something i can take to electric only lakes and also fish motor lakes too. Also needs to be able to fit in my garage. I found this boat near my house, the motor runs great and the trailer looks bad but its actually very sturdy. The boat is not bad also, has a bad paintjob but no leaks or holes. Needs new decking. He offered it to me for $1000. Has titles to everything.
I usually fish by myself or with my nephew. I dont carry a lot of gear with me when i fish.
I fish medium size lakes with not a lot of chop.
Would you guys consider this? My other option is buying a 14ft polar kraft with a 10hp tiller. I dont want to spend more than about $1200 right now.

Heres some pics
Its a 1980 rhyan craft flat bottom.
Thanks guys

Attachments

• E28182D1-B2D8-4936-A511-C2307B2D6E85.jpeg
    E28182D1-B2D8-4936-A511-C2307B2D6E85.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,417
  • BCC3F2C6-74F9-4DE5-BFEF-3DBC00B8714F.jpeg
    BCC3F2C6-74F9-4DE5-BFEF-3DBC00B8714F.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 91246891-2084-4FCA-82F3-C3E12D61B363.jpeg
    91246891-2084-4FCA-82F3-C3E12D61B363.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 6019B133-2788-416E-91FE-67E502817DBB.jpeg
    6019B133-2788-416E-91FE-67E502817DBB.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 875C61C7-E60B-4970-9246-5260F0E832D9.jpeg
    875C61C7-E60B-4970-9246-5260F0E832D9.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 53E672B8-D1CC-46B6-8A40-C121F54DDD94.jpeg
    53E672B8-D1CC-46B6-8A40-C121F54DDD94.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,417
Looks like a great blank canvas to tidy up. Price is great where I am from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
Same here ... go for it, if motor checks out

Yes, motor is what i inspected real good. Its in great shape. If i pull the trigger i would be taking it appart and painting the boat and installing a deck. Will be using for solo fishing and tournament every now and then.

It's a project, but the motor is worth most of that 1000 bucks.

A couple sheets of plywood and some time should have it fixed up pretty good.

Yes im actually looking for a project, want to build it with my son and teach him how to fish.
Ill be seeing it again on wednsday and if everything checks out i will take it home. It checks all the the boxes of what im looking for, console steer, aluminum, livewell.
Does anybody know if these are stable enough to stand in the front? Id be building a low deck, i usually only fish with big swimbaits and i dont need a high deck

Im excited, i sold my ranger last year because my son was born and i had to buy a house. I feel like this boat can help me get back on the water and its a good starting point, it has potential. Hopefully everything goes good and it should be in my garage next week

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Get that thing in your driveway before it’s gone!

Im in a real hurry to get it home. Owner is on vacation. I will pick it up the day he gets back. I left a deposit. I didnt bring it home that day because i was driving my sedan.

Good cause there probably isn’t a guy on this thread who wouldn’t give a grand for that rig.

I'd try to get it for $800 , but I'm a tightwad.
After all, it does need a new deck, a good cleanup and paint, and your budget is limited. You just might hit him at his bottom dollar point.

Roger

Did you check the compression on the motor?

The compression is one of the best gauges of the status of the powerhead.

The compression in each cylinder should be 120 psi or greater and the cylinders should be within !0% of each other.

If compression readings are not in that range, walk away. The motor will need extensive mechanical work.

Since you will have the plugs out to check the compression, lay them out in the order removed. This will facilitate replacing them where they came from. Look at the color and condition of the plug electrodes, side by side. They should all be about the same color, fairly dark and not wet.

A multi-cylinder outboard can start and run fairly smoothly on as few as one cylinder without a load (on muffs), "wet plugs".

Good compression and a single "wet plug" can point you toward an ignition issue. This is not a show stopper, but you can easily spend $300/$400/$500 on ignition repairs.

This not to say this is not a good deal, but it could only be a fair price. This is a used boat, buyer beware.

Good luck, I did this with an '81 Lund and I love it.

DSCF6916.JPG

This started out as $800 bargain and ended as a $6000 beauty, I don' regret a penny. :lol:

Thanks for the advice, i will be doing a compression test. My budget allows me to buy it and rebuild the outside and decking but not enough to cover extensive motor repair. The owner is happy to let me test drive it and run a compression test. Hopefully all goes well

If that boat is big enough for that 60 then its big enough to do the platform or what ever you want. That motor is still used today in hydroplane racing. SST45 is the class name. Its a stock class so your block and carbs are what they use and cant really be modified beyond a blue print. You can search SST45 for fun. I think you will find that your block number is the same one desired in this class. Any way, that's all good because down the road if you blow it up a fix is easy and its a well known motor.
Example https://www.wptracing.com/sst-45/

Stumpalump said:
If that boat is big enough for that 60 then its big enough to do the platform or what ever you want. That motor is still used today in hydroplane racing. SST45 is the class name. Its a stock class so your block and carbs are what they use and cant really be modified beyond a blue print. You can search SST45 for fun. I think you will find that your block number is the same one desired in this class. Any way, that's all good because down the road if you blow it up a fix is easy and its a well known motor.
Example https://www.wptracing.com/sst-45/

I have not taken it to the water yet, but it must be pretty fast. I had a tracker with a 25hp that was not slow. I do not drive fast but im just saying it probably pick up quick. I went through it real good, it does need new wiring for the trolling motor and livewell.
But most of the work needed i can do myself.
Picking it up wednesday

Nothing like finding a deal. Makes it hard to sleep sometimes. Which state are you? Look forward to the remodel. Tomorrow is new old truck day for me.

This boat looks like it has been neglected but still sturdy.
If you like the engine it is the right kind of boat to buy on a budget. Perfect for repainting and fixing up.
You can make money on boats like this. I have done it for years.
Clean it up, paint it and use the hell out of it.
Just keep an eye on the weather and avoid the rough stuff. Good Luck.

So its officially mine, motor is in great condition. Boats needs paint, aluminum is still in great shape.

The guy who sold it had already Cut out all the deck pieces to build the new decks. All i need to do is wrap them in carpet. Thats awesome. Also the trailer had been rebuilt.
I think its a great deal, before i get to fishing im gonna strip it and get her painted all black.

Thanks for everyone that convinced me to buy it lol

water bouy said:
Nothing like finding a deal. Makes it hard to sleep sometimes. Which state are you? Look forward to the remodel. Tomorrow is new old truck day for me.

Im in austin texas, i found the boat about an hour away. The guy was gonna have a job today about 10 minutes from my house and he actually brought it to his job and i picked it up there.

Im gonna make a build thread

Latest posts