Removing transom wood without cutting boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d-camarena

Reaction score
Im working on my project boat, its rhyan craft bass deluxe. Im doing a mild restoration and want to replace the transom now that i have the boat apart. I just dont see how i can insert new wood without cutting the transom plate out.
If i have to cut i will but if its not necessary i wont.

Theres space from the inside but i doubt i will be able to insert the whole peice through there.
Thanks for you guys help

Attachments

• 8338E7B4-23FD-42E7-ACDF-3A389BDA4894.jpeg
    8338E7B4-23FD-42E7-ACDF-3A389BDA4894.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 994
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 994
I don't know the answer to your question. It looks like the transom cap has been removed before.

Here is a link to a previous Rhyan build. Not sure if it is the same boat as yours.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6551&start=300&hilit=Rhyan+Craft#p287957

Also, "rotated" versions of your pics:

8338E7B4-23FD-42E7-ACDF-3A389BDA4894.jpeg
image.jpg

Im pretty sure ill have to cut, i want to replace it because i dont want to take chances with the motor being so big. My only question is if i cut the cover pieces i still cant get to the whole piece of wood because the gunwhales get in the the way. Would i have to cut all the way to the edge of the boat?

You are going to have to remove the gunwales from what I see in the pictures. Or at least move them aside if possible. Unless that splash well is removable, hard to tell really from the pictures.

surfman said:
You are going to have to remove the gunwales from what I see in the pictures. Or at least move them aside if possible. Unless that splash well is removable, hard to tell really from the pictures.

The splash guard is not removable. Im thinking i can pop the rivets on the gunwale and remover the last panel on each side and itll let me get to the screws

It's all removable, just depends on how much work you want to get yourself into. Some boats just are not friendly when it comes to rebuilding them.

Still have to take pics of the build, i just finished stripping it down. Its not gonna be a full restoration. Just repaint and new wood.
Anyone have a good video ir tips on making a deck? Not sure if i should make the frame from aluminum or wood.

Latest posts