Looking for a comfortable seat/Tin boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a smallish boat 14' of tin to use on our river, I can no longer sit upright for long periods of time, so I'll need a seat that hopefully reclines some for use with the tiller or side console.

My back is so bad I've even thought about going with a pontoon boat but I don't really want something that big.

I have two Tempress brand arm-rest chairs that came with my boat. They are comfortable but don't recline -- I just slouch down when I'm relaxing (which is most of the time). Haha.

I got curious and did a little search on google. Looks like most of the reclining helm chairs are for larger boats (and larger pocket books).

I did find the following "stadium" seat on Amazon. According to the description, it has 6 different reclining positions and is supposed to be water resistant. Price is good compared to the large reclining helm seats I saw. Looks like with a little head-scratching it could be adapted to fit on a boat bench. Unfortunately, I have no idea how comfortable or durable it might be.

I recall someone here on TB had adapted what looked like an office chair to their tin boat. Because those often have multiple adjustments for ergonomic purposes, that might be another option.

Screen Shot 2018-12-27 at 3.42.06 PM.png

I don’t see why a little redneck engineering couldn’t adapt an office chair to a pedestal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used and loved two of these in my old 16 footer. They recline but you have to unbolt and bolt it in place. Very adjustable and it adds height that you need to consider. The suspension was amazing and level of suspension or spring tension was adjustable with a knob. It also adjusted foward and aft like a car seat. These things were great!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-universal-adjustable-seat-black-510000bk-cnl-1297537?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1297537&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vj4-rPB3wIVZRh9Ch1f4gLBEAQYASABEgIXPvD_BwE

Stumpalump said:
I used and loved two of these in my old 16 footer. They recline but you have to unbolt and bolt it in place. Very adjustable and it adds height that you need to consider. The suspension was amazing and level of suspension or spring tension was adjustable with a knob. It also adjusted foward and aft like a car seat. These things were great!
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-universal-adjustable-seat-black-510000bk-cnl-1297537?cm_mmc=feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-1297537&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9vj4-rPB3wIVZRh9Ch1f4gLBEAQYASABEgIXPvD_BwE

Impressive -- Looks like a winner.

Stumpalump said:
Looks great, if I get the tinner I'll have it mounted to a swivel and be set, thanks!

If you have a really bad back, would any bouncy boat be good for you? Or, can you fish in an area without wakes and without running the boat up on plane?

Since I just returned from my chiropractor yesterday, I feel your pain...sort of.

Wider; heavier; slower.... all seem called for.

After a lot of looking I bought a Millenium but haven't tried it out yet. My back is good for a couple of hours depending on how much bending I do. My office chair was affecting my neck so I swapped it with my bookkeeper. The back of it is lower which helped my sitting position somehow. Duck taped a cushion near the top of it.

I find these cheap seats to be exceptionally comfortable. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine-raider-padded-fold-down-boat-seat-201633926#repChildCatid=987614 I can sit on them for hours at a time with no issues, and I feel comfortably IN the seat.

Mine are just plain old fold up fishing seats but they're high backs and pretty comfy.

Attachments

• 20181204_115259.jpg
    20181204_115259.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,558
I pulled the trigger on two millennium seats. Price was $83 each and I was able to find a good deal on pedastals. Hoping for a comfortable fishing season. I'll report back after some field testing.

highbar said:
I find these cheap seats to be exceptionally comfortable. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/marine-raider-padded-fold-down-boat-seat-201633926#repChildCatid=987614 I can sit on them for hours at a time with no issues, and I feel comfortably IN the seat.

I had those in my old boat and couldn't get 30 minutes before I had to get out of them. Everyone's different, though.

a couple weeks ago i found 2 tempress navi style highbacks in the cabelas bargain cave that color matched my boat perfectly and used the last of my wifes $500 gift card as a birthday present for me.they were 60% off each.we saved just over $300. one of the best deals on boat gear so far.my boat came with the low backs that are now relegated to spares for the grandkids when they come out on the boat with us.the highbacks are so much better for wonky backs.

Latest posts