Help!!! What boat do I Have

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesw2319

Reaction score
So I was given an aluminum semi-v for Christmas by my uncle which is awesome. The only issue is there are absolutely no markings on the boat whatsoever.
It is 13'7" from bow to stern with a 57" beam and 54"wide by 15" tall transom. I have spent days scouring every posting and forum i can find to help identify the boat. But nothing i found has matched those dimensions.
He told me it was a mid 1950's model but that's all he knew. the middle seat has been removed and the front seat has been shifted back about 8 inches to make more leg room I'm guessing. It has almost like inverted V's for transom knees and The transom is welded to the rounded sides of the hull instead of riveted. Also the splash rail/chine is also welded instead of riveted. the boat seems to be a mostly Welded except where the bottom of the hull attaches to the transom and the strakes on the bottom of the boat. I think it would be a great little fishing boat but since it doesn't have a Hull Id Number(HIN) I have to have the make and model before i can register it in Tennessee where I live.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,011
Lot of boats built in that era by different manufacturers, some for other companies such as Starcraft built a lot of boats for Montgomery Ward (sea king). Same with the Sears boats. It shares a lot of similarities with some of the Starcraft Sea Kings I have seen. Over on iboats, there is a Starcraft model index going way back. It isn’t a plethora of information regarding older models but gives length and beam and usually hp and weight capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea i was leaning toward that myself but having a really hard time finding information. I actually just got off the phone with my uncle that i got it from he found the actual hull id tag in his garage it is an FLZ number so looks like when it was last registered in Florida they issued an HIN as a homemade boat so at least now with that it will be easy to get it registered here in TN.

Do you think the wood on the outside of the transom is factory? The HIN tag may be under the wood on the starboard side, so look on the inside and see if there are any rivets or impressions that indicate it might be there. Of course, that old of a boat may not have anything at all.

I removed the wood from the transom today since i want to replace it anyways and there were no numbers which didn't surprise me. If the boat is a 1954 model like i was told it is highly unlikely thats it never had a factory HIN

Chances are it was made for Sears or Wards by someone else.
Find copies of the catalogues for the time period and look up boats.

Yea that's what I have been doing for a while now I've probably looked at well over a thousand different boats, catalogs, and brochures from the late 40's to early 70's with no luck still. Its the transom braces and the fact that is pretty much an all welded hull that keeps throwing me off.

Lot of little manufacturers made boats for department stores. Often several manufacturers for one company. Depending on geography and demand, how many and where. Positively identifying a lot of these simple old boats is impossible. For HP limits and weight capacity guidelines, there are formulas that can be applied. As far as history, good luck. If only these old boats could talk!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk