Lowe or Bass Tracker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfast

Reaction score
I have been in the market for a cheaper flat bottom jon boat for a while now. It will get used maybe a few hours about 12 weekends a year. I have found two and debating on which would be the better option if any. Both are riveted boats and same 16ft overall design.

Bass Tracker: 1984, no leaks an overall decent shape for age. Has 25hp johnson that runs but does sounds like it is sucking air from somewhere. I havent looked too much at it yet want to do compression test first.

Lowe: 1979 carpet was just redone and needs a couple little things to finish hooking up trolling motor. It comes with a 40hp Tohatsu. I am supposed to look at this weekend but from pics it has a long shaft motor an anti-caviation plate looks to be about 5 inches below bottom of boat so think it should have short shaft on it.

Neither boat has any leaks but the bass tracker is 1200 where the lowe is 1800, both have been for sale a while so they may come down some on asking price. Is it worth the extra 600 to go with the lowe with bigger motor or save the money? Anything I should loo out for on either of these boats besides the rivets and leaking?

Inspect the transom for rot.

Another easy check is to let some lower unit oil drip out, see if it is milky.

How long ago was water pump impeller changed?

Gas tanks/ hose good?

All this stuff adds up when on your dime.

Compression test also easy & valuable.

How about trailer - tires & bearings OK? Rusty?

Good luck, post pictures!

Thanks will check all those things out, trailer not a big concern just has to make one 100 mile trip then it will stay at the lake on a lift.

If you go with the 40 HP, just beef up the back or add a jackplate to raise the engine up. That's the direction I'm leaning but there are far too many unanswered questions yet. Best of luck.

Do you know the model years on the motors? For your intended purpose, I don't think there is a hoot of difference. Lowe could possibly have just a bit more metal.
Add up your estimated expenses to get them where they need to be. Don't think the prices are out of line if the trailers are in good shape.

I bought a 1992 Lowe over a Bass Tracker because the Lowe had aluminum decking instead of plywood . The Bass Tracker I was looking at had a much nicer live well and storage options . At the time of purchase I wasn't sure if I could provide dry storage for the boat and was worried about the wood rotting with wet carpet every time it rained .

Latest posts