why that one?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
why do you run the engines that you do? was it part of a package? a gift? too good of a deal to pass up? are you just brand loyal? do you get an employee discount? lets discuss. my first engine was given to me for free. a 30 hp. evinrude 2 stroke. it was on a 14 ft. runabout also free.i rebuilt the boat from the keel up and used it for a couple years.too big for small lakes so i sold the boat and traded the motor for a 9.9 evinrude converted to a 15 for a 12 ft.tinny.not brand loyal yet,just the right price at the right time.wore that one out and a golfing buddy sold me his old evinrude 9.9 kicker off his river jet.again not brand loyal yet,just the right price at the right time.it went on my new 14.5 ft. g3.it started acting up during our yearly month long trip,so in frustration and being a long way from anywhere,we hit the nearest town and and after no luck getting repaired, bought a yamaha 15.that was out of necessity and no research.that motor hated high altitude lakes.i could row faster.again in frustration i sold it and got my first planned and researched motor purchase. a tohatsu 25 short shaft ,electric start, fuel injected, multi function tiller, power tilt/trim dream.unfortunately,the boat and motor were written off.now i'm back in the evinrude family with a 40 on an alumacraft.it was part of a package that i practically stole.i was originally going to go with a yamaha/alumacraft package but the dealer kept stalling the order so i went looking elsewhere and found this one in the next province over.i got a 10 year warranty on the engine, so am i happy i didn't go with the yamaha? does a bear sh!t in the woods?

Currently have a Honda four stroke because they had a pretty decent promotion going with the boat I wanted. So it was indeed part of a package deal.

Your Evinrude ETEC, If I understand, isn't a four stroke but has the CARB 3-Star rating. Again, if I understand, it is the only mfg that gets the clean rating without going to a four stroke. Of course, I'll give my standard disclaimer which is that I frequently don't understand. Haha

My G3 came with a 25HP Yamaha 4 stroke. I loved that outboard. It ran smoothly and would start right up. When I picked up my current boat it came with a Mercury 115. So far so so good. I maintain it yearly...I think that's why I have no issues.

Needed/wanted a new engine and got the Yamaha 20 4s at a very good price, other wise would have been just as happy with a Mercury or other.

I bought my Wards sea king 1436 jon boat to be my duck hunting floating blind. I was looking for a reasonably priced 15hp motor but was not having any luck. I did see a Mariner 1983 short shaft 25hp motor on craiglist it was more motor than I needed and cost more than I wanted to spend at $750. As I continued my search the price of the Mariner dropped to $650 a few weeks later it was $550. At that point with duck hunting right around the corner I decided to pick up the Mariner. I'm very glad I did.

My boats have had Evinrude/Johnson power. Only had a 65hp Mercury for a very short time. It was extremely thirsty. But my motors have all been late eighties models.

Let's see. Over 50/60 years of owning boats, I've owned one or more.....
Suzuki; Tahatsu; Yamaha; Evinrude; Johnson; Honda and Mercury.

Easier to list the ones I didn't own, I guess.

Loved the Yamaha, because it would start if I just looked at it. My present 50 hp 1996 2 cycle was a PIA to start when cold..until I read someplace that I should tilt it all of the way back (carb'd engine) before I turned the key, .....and now it starts just great.

All that I can say is that NONE of them ever gave me any trouble other than the Johnson and that issue has been corrected by a simple change in my starting procedure.

All but one of those engines were on used boats, so I had nothing to say about the brand. I wouldn't buy a Chrysler or a Force but neither is around much anymore.

gnappi said:
richg99 said:

I "think" he means he buried it in an unmarked grave?
It was junk. I was told it ran but wasn't told when it ran. It was missing bolts in the side of the block that were filled with silicone. When tilted stuff inside the engine rattled to a new location. The propeller was missing. It came with the boat. I loaded the engine in the back of my truck, took it to the wood lot at the back of my farm and laid it to rest for eternity. I bought a used Evinrude 48 SPL and put it on the boat.

I bught a used Jetcraft that came with a Yamaha 115. It is the best outboard I have ever been around. Now I have great brand loyalty.
Recently I added a Honda 8 hp kicker because it was the closest thing I could find to a Yamaha.

My Mercury was a package deal on my LUND. When i decided to get a 14 foot tin all i wanted was a 4 stroke, so i found a 1996 Evinrude 15 hp 4s. I do not favour any brands they are all good, if they arent they dont stay in business long. I would never pass up a great deal on a great engine because of brand.

My current boat came with an Evinrude 40 hp prop motor that was a long shaft. The boat hull is a jet tunnel hull so I started looking for a short shaft jet and the Merc 60/45 was the first one I found nearby. I sold the Evinrude 40 for almost the same I paid for the Merc jet. I realized later on that a short shaft jet is not easy to find and I got real lucky with mine. Most of the problems I've had over the years on multiple boats has been either electrical (corrosion leading to a weak connection) or fuel (usually pump failure or clogged filter). Some needed adjustments over time to get the idle back to an acceptable spot but I've never taken a motor in to be worked on and all of the boats/motors I've sold were running well when I sold them.

I am running a 1973 25hp Evinrude Sportster 20 inch shaft with a tiller on my 16ft boat. I had it from my older 1958 crest liner 14ft. The shaft is a bit too long, but I made a riser on the transom to deal with it. I got it, because it was the best looking motor I could find under $1000, and I got it for $550. I think I am going to find a used 40 and do a stick steer this spring, or just find a new lower unit to pop onto my motor, because I know it works well.

Getting 25mph with just me, and 22mph with me and my brother, 550+ of people.

Bought my current boat (1977 Mirrocraft F3614) from the neighbor, it came with a 1963 Johnson 9.9.
Ran that for several years, until my brother in law gave me a 1967 Mercury 200 - 20 HP.

I re-powered at the end of 2017 with a brand spankin' new Yamaha F25SWHC (1st new motor for me),
couldn't be happier with it. I went with the F25 for it's light weight.

Over the years I think I've owned one of pretty much everything. 1st motor was 7.5 ( IIRC )
Elgin. My buddy's and I hung it on the end of a big concrete mixing tub and cruised the local river.

At some point we came across a 12 or 14 foot duck boat, I think we had a 10ish HP Johnson on it,
we kept it at Daves house. We'd load her up in the morning and carry a mile or so down to the creek,
which ran into the river. We'd be gone from sun up to sun down, such good times.

Latest posts