Boat recommendations for small slip size

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin1976

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a lake house on a 200-acre lake and the boat house has a very small slip. The length of the slip is about 15'6". The deck of the slip has a step-down built running the length of the slip that sits at the water line - that step makes the width 65". I've thought about removing the step, as it is about 8" wide, to fit a wider boat.

I'm trying to find a flat bottom boat to fit the most fishermen (two adults / two children at times). Most of the boats I find are 14'-15', and to get a bottom width of 4', the beams always seem to be greater than 65" (not sure about their width at the current water line, but that seems to be a dangerous gamble).

The lake has a 10hp limit on the motor, so not looking for performance out of the boat except maximizing the weight it can hold and the bottom width.

Any suggestions? If I take the step out, I can fit a boat with a 70" beam with a little room to spare. It will be lifted out of the water when not in use.

Justin1976 said:
Hi,

Just bought a lake house on a 200-acre lake and the boat house has a very small slip. The length of the slip is about 15'6". The deck of the slip has a step-down built running the length of the slip that sits at the water line - that step makes the width 65". I've thought about removing the step, as it is about 8" wide, to fit a wider boat.

I'm trying to find a flat bottom boat to fit the most fishermen (two adults / two children at times). Most of the boats I find are 14'-15', and to get a bottom width of 4', the beams always seem to be greater than 65" (not sure about their width at the current water line, but that seems to be a dangerous gamble).

The lake has a 10hp limit on the motor, so not looking for performance out of the boat except maximizing the weight it can hold and the bottom width.

Any suggestions? If I take the step out, I can fit a boat with a 70" beam with a little room to spare. It will be lifted out of the water when not in use.

Ck out the websites, tracker, alumacraft, alweld, lowe, lund, etc. All the specs are there for you to choose. Beam, weight cap., bottom width.

fyr4efect said:
Ck out the websites, tracker, alumacraft, alweld, lowe, lund, etc. All the specs are there for you to choose. Beam, weight cap., bottom width.

Thanks! I think I'm going to need to take out the step in the slip to make the slip wider. I don't see a maker who makes a 48" bottom width with a beam less than 65". I guess the sides would be too vertical?

Oh, edit - I did find that Pro-Drive makes a 48" bottom, 65" beam boat. Expensive, but all-welded and thicker aluminum...

gnappi said:
I genned this up two years ago but it may help you out to 14' boats.

Thanks, gnappi! A few on your list for me to check out! Looks like you did some serious research! I love Excel.

Justin1976 said:
gnappi said:

Thanks, gnappi! A few on your list for me to check out! Looks like you did some serious research! I love Excel.

It was tiring going back and forth between maker's web pages, jotting notes, missing stuff so the spreadsheet helped sort out the details, I'm glad it may have helped you.

I wound up with the Lowe 1040 and you can see by my color codes, it quite literally checked all of my boxes, light, wide and load capacity.

But... I use Open Office and have been since Sun Micro systems developed it and called it Sun or Star Office way back. If you want the spreadsheet I can send it to you since I always save in Excel format.

gnappi said:
Justin1976 said:
gnappi said:

It was tiring going back and forth between maker's web pages, jotting notes, missing stuff so the spreadsheet helped sort out the details, I'm glad it may have helped you.

I wound up with the Lowe 1040 and you can see by my color codes, it quite literally checked all of my boxes, light, wide and load capacity.

But... I use Open Office and have been since Sun Micro systems developed it and called it Sun or Star Office way back. If you want the spreadsheet I can send it to you since I always save in Excel format.

The 1040 has a strange person/load rating at 3/325. Interesting. I have a 1436 currently, that was free, which I will use for the time being. It has pinholes and all sorts of interesting issues that I need to iron out before I get it wet, lol. I have sanded the bottom to bare aluminum and have steel flex ready to go if the weather will ever warm up for a few days.

But, I know ultimately I want a boat that will hold 4 people and that might be able to be decked and stand on with 2 people fishing. Thinking more and more about ripping out the step-down in the slip as well as the weird v-shaped wooden walkway they built into the boathouse. That would allow me to fit a 1548 or perhaps a 1648.

Thanks for the offer on the spreadsheet! I've pulled it up from this post several times and it's easy to read and well laid out!

Justin1976 said:
The 1040 has a strange person/load rating at 3/325. >>multiple snips<<
I've pulled it up from this post several times and it's easy to read and well laid out!

Thanks, and yes the 1040 specs do look strange, the 3 person rating is "optimistic" unless the fishermen are children or very height/weight challenged :)

The load rating is solid which being all electric I load mine to just about the max and she's very steady with both of us standing... as long as we don't do anything foolish.

The step makes it nice to board, especially for the rug rats. However, removing that step will open up a lot more possibilities and I think you want as wide as possible with the kids on board moving around. That extra 5-7 inches is a big difference. If it is a big step down, make a step that fastens to the dock with hinges. When the boat is moored, swing the step over and into or just above the side. If you space it right, it can fit inside the the boat against the side, which will help hold it against the dock for steadiness.

Latest posts