fishing partner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By any chance, is your name Sam?
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=httpss%3A%2F%2Fpics.me.me%2Fmy-wife-told-me-to-start-fishing-again-i-was-193572.png&imgrefurl=httpss%3A%2F%2Fme.me%2Fi%2Fmy-wife-told-me-to-start-fishing-again-i-was-389309&docid=r1ZmEvYjSKl2zM&tbnid=jvA-rUwgO8zGsM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwiY7MH9x_HhAhUO26wKHfejBtcQMwhIKAAwAA..i&w=500&h=896&bih=713&biw=1272&q=fishing%20partner%20sam&ved=0ahUKEwiY7MH9x_HhAhUO26wKHfejBtcQMwhIKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Sorry, couldn't resist the moment.

Roger

Be careful who you put in your boat.
Over the years I have taken plenty of people out. Some are great boat guests. They pay their way. They help out. They appreciate being on the water.
Many don't and they get asked only once.
I have a few friends that like to fish. My best fishing partner is my dog.

I don't mind bass fishing solo but trolling can really be boring and if it's windy it sure can help having an extra set of hands. If Sam wants, I can find something for her hands to do.

jethro said:
I don't mind bass fishing solo but trolling can really be boring and if it's windy it sure can help having an extra set of hands. If Sam wants, I can find something for her hands to do.

Yeah, you could have saved all that $$ for the iPilot -- I'm sure that is what you were thinking! :mrgreen:

LDUBS said:
jethro said:

Yeah, you could have saved all that $$ for the iPilot -- I'm sure that is what you were thinking! :mrgreen:

Of course! That's all I was thinking!

richg99 said:
I read some commentary on another boating site. Seemed like 80 % of the guys preferred fishing alone.

I guess that counts me, too.

I guess I would also say me too. I'm fishing alone probably 90% of the time. I like being out with Mrs Ldubs, the kids, or a close friend, but also enjoy going by myself. I frequently go on a moment's notice because I have the time, the weather looks good, I'm getting antsy, or whatever. Don't have to worry about what time I'm going, someone else's time constraints, etc.

I've heard the horror stories of the friction caused by guests who want to do things their way or are critical about how things are done on someone else's boat. If I'm a a guest on someone else's boat I would follow their lead unless asked. I sure wouldn't criticize their fishing methods, but I guess some folks do that.

I belong to a small local bass club. We fish the tiny lakes that are in our community. The boaters (that's me) get assigned a Non-boater.

I've had some I wanted to drop off at the dock, .....and some who are my best friends now.

I'll be fishing in my first tourney this coming weekend. .....Who... I get may determine how much of that I do this summer.

I fish walleyes 99% of the time, I usually bring my wife and kids or sometimes just the kids when I go. I'll fish solo but I'd rather have family along or a close friend. kids are 10 and 6 so they still think I'm cool.

People always ask if I have a second rod stamp. You bet, one for me and one for my dog.
As my friends have aged they have gotten wimpy. Last week we are set up to go and the guy says it might rain and he doesn't want to go out in a boat.
People are goofy about going out on the water. They seem afraid of it.
My dog Ruby Begonia is always ready to go anywhere. We have a great time.

I just read in another forum about a "guest" who claimed to know what they were doing dropped a 15 lb downrigger weight over the side. That would kind of ruin your day, especially if you don't have a spare.

Ha Ha...Sue and I rented a rowboat some 35 years or so ago. Somewhere in Wisconsin as I recall.

We took it out, and I went to drop the concrete anchor in.... and......watched it plummet to the depths. No one had tied the loose end of the rope onto anything. The people at the place that we rented it from, when I told them what happened, just shrugged their shoulders. Must not have been the first time.

richg99 said:
Ha Ha...Sue and I rented a rowboat some 35 years or so ago. Somewhere in Wisconsin as I recall.

We took it out, and I went to drop the concrete anchor in.... and......watched it plummet to the depths. No one had tied the loose end of the rope onto anything. The people at the place that we rented it from, when I told them what happened, just shrugged their shoulders. Must not have been the first time.

Not your fault Rich. Obviously, the rope was too short. :LOL2:

Well known local river, there's a dock near the ramp that I commonly fished. Well I was doing a lot of evening fishing for a while, so I was coming in at dark thirty, about the time the dock owners were going home. One afternoon I came in a little early and one of the guides said something about me guiding. Me? LOL....yeah right. Well one of the guides had quit for health reasons, but left his boat & motor for the next guide to use. I mean this deal fell into my hands, other than having to get a guide license it was cake.

Just as some of y'all said, some guests loved being on the water, some were just holding the seats down, others a pain in the backside. Some bought the kids. One guest had 4 kids and brought all 4 of them along for out trip. In an 18' narrow boat that was an experience. Little brats didn't mind for anything, they didn't mind their dad or me. Ended up cutting it off earlier that day because "weather concerns"...but in honesty, the dad gum brats were driving me crazy. I put them on the fish hoping it would keep 'em busy but that worked only temporarily. The next Monday I had a client come in from South Dakota, hasn't picked up a fishing rod in over 50 years, so he had some learning. Him and I are best friends now. Super good guy, witnessed to me and I to him, we just clicked. Didn't catch as much as should have because we were too busy chit-chatting. Guiding for a living sounds like it's all fun & stuff and for the most part it is, but if a client wants to fish and a storm comes up and they're wanting to stay out, you stay out (as long as it's safe of course). If it's cold, you fish. If it's hot you fish. Or more specifically you teach/watch them fish, take them off the hooks, bait their hooks, untangle their birds nests, pull the lures from snags...in other words, it's WORK. I had enough of it and went back to wrenchin', where I get along well with my co-workers.

Being a guide....Ha Ha great story. I think you probably hit it on the head.

I was in sales. 98% of my customers I loved. 2% made for a bad day.

Working with the public, no matter what you do, is not for everyone. I imagine that your wrenches don't talk back, and they do what you want them to do, too. Sounds like you make a good choice.

Sometimes that Green on the other side of the fence, isn't so Green after all.

I'll bet it is a lot of work being a guide. I encounter guides with their clients trolling for trout all the time. I always give those guys a lot of room if I can. Even if I think I have the right of way, I'll let them take a lane. I figure they are working and I'm out there for fun. If I have a bad day, I might complain here on TB.net. If they have a bad day, they might lose clients. Most of the ones I've chatted with also seem pretty friendly.

Latest posts