Dale H, or ?? Can I just short out the sensors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I have a pump that uses sensors
https://smile.amazon.com/Johnson-Pumps-32-47260-003-Ultima-Bilge/dp/B000RZR2QI/ref=sr_1_12?crid=1SAU30SW527I8&keywords=johnson+bilge+pump&qid=1557008414&s=gateway&sprefix=johnson+bilge+pump%2Caps%2C191&sr=8-12

To check it, can I just short out the two sensors with a wire? or must I fill the bilge with water? This assumes that the sensors are clean, of course.

I am not sure of the exact type of sensor you have in that unit or if you can even get to it but I have a water detector sensor for my water heater in my home that I can check by jumping across the probes with a wire. I can also check it by touching the probes with my fingers. The tighter I grip the probes with my fingers the less resistance across the wires and the louder the alarm sounds.

That is what I am thinking. I just put the boat into its on-the-water slip yesterday. I don't want to dump a lot of water into it and find out that it isn't working. But, when I pull her out of the water next week, I really would like an easier way to check it out.

Magnetic or hall effect type switches (I don't know what you have) will not respond to a short because the part of the switch that "closes" is internal to the switch.

Filling the boat on an incline to test a float or sensor and then pulling the plug is no worse than taking a wave over the bow or getting stuck in a rainstorm.

You always have the manual bypass switch if the sensor/switch fails unless you leave it dockside than I'd rig an external float to the bypass switch to make sure Davey Jones doesn't take your boat.

I leave my boat covered on the trailer with the plug out and don't think about the BP.

Latest posts