Transom Repair - Jon Boat - extra plate?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David144

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm replacing the transom on my 12' aluminum Jon boat. Almost done prep'ing the wood but...

There are 2 aluminum plates, one on the inside touching the wooden transom and one exterior touching the aluminum outside of the boat. Do i JB Weld the exterior plate to the boat? I'm thinking I wouldn't have to worry water will get behind it and can silicone the bolt holes. Will JB Weld flex w transom as motor pushes boat?

Next question, There is corrosion, pitting, and pin holes in stern. I'm going to sand, wash with vinegar + water, and skim coat with Tex over the Aluminum stern. Prime and paint. Then bolt the prep'd transom. Your thoughts?

I've learned a great deal from this forum...Thank you...

Don’t use silicone, as the curing agents attack tin.

JB Weld doesn’t flex, but West Systems G-Flex 650 does, $22 or so for 8-ounce kit.

I’d prime tin BEFORE adding any goop or epoxy.

I’d probably use LifeCaulk by BoatLife (preferred over 3M 5200) and even instead of GF 650, as my goop of choice for that rebuild and exterior piece, of which I’d still probably mechanically fasten at the corners.

IMO.. I wouldn't seal any of the plates other than some on the through bolts.. water will still get in but if you seal It, it can't get back out.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Thanks DaleH,

So you would glue the plate to the back? It does have 2 bolts but i just didn't want any water getting back there.

Bonus question, I have to cover a 1/4" hole and cut another 2" away. handle broke and new one does not match up. What would you use to fill the hole? i don't want to use a bolt but can. Was thinking the epoxy but it says "pin holes" not 1/4" holes. Thoughts again?

Consider what Gypsy said too, but if a saltwater use boat, I would seal it off.

1/4" hole - I have some good 1/4" rivets I could send you.

2" hole ... I'd have to see a picture, I can't visualize what you're dealing with.

Latest posts