Caulk

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf

Reaction score
The big box store in my county doesn't have 5200. They have Locktite 3000 Marine. I only need to fill 1/2 dozen screw holes. Is the Locktite as good , and paintable?

I don't know about the Locktite brand caulk but, in general, Locktite products are quality.

What you want is a urethane caulk. I'm sure that 5200 is a quality urethane caulk but it's still just urethane caulk. Silicone is a good sealant but it's a terrible adhesive and won't take paint. Latex is too rigid and won't flex enough. Urethane is more flexible than latex, sticks better than silicone, and can be painted. I use whatever hardware store brand is convenient and have never had a problem - even on fittings that are under water.

I like and prefer LifeCaulk by BoatLife, and it too is a urethane goop like 3M 5200, but it is not a traditional caulk. It too is sandable and paintable.

Their tubes last year's, whereas 3M tubes don't last a season or as long (as they harden up).

I have used the Locktite and had good luck with it. It is paintable.

jtf said:
The big box store in my county doesn't have 5200. They have Loktite 3000 Marine. I only need to fill 1/2 dozen screw holes. Is the Locktite as good , and paintable?
That 'LokTite Marine PL' adhesive/sealant says it is paintable. On paper it looks to be as good as LifeCaulk or 5200 but says it is a 'polyether' base sealant whereas the other 2 are 'polyurethane' base. A chemist I'm not ... even if I slept at the Holiday Inn last night.

... I just had never heard of it and have no experience with it, but again - it looks good on paper. I have a friend who's a Sales Rep for LokTite, I'll ask him for a comparison to LifeCaulk and 5200. Just be sure to etch and prime any area, even if just vinegar washed, before applying the goop, as some sealants do attach bare tin.

jtf said:
...it is a 'polyether' base sealant whereas the other 2 are 'polyurethane' base.

There are several types of polyurethane. Polyether is one of those types. It's probably the same stuff.

I have use both LT & 3M5200, & LT is not as good for strength or adhesion. But if you aren't sealing a high stressed joint then it should be good enough. Another option (but not for below waterline) is locktite roofing sealant, which is polyurethane also, just a much lower grade.

The last tube of 3M5200 I got was from Wally's. I ordered online & picked up at store, was around $15.

The holes are screw size in the transom, some filters and such have been moved. Above water line, prepping for new coat of PPG paint.

Thanks

Latest posts