The dreaded holes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne Lea

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Ever want to see a grown man cry :D (put his tinny in the water and see water coming through tiny pin holes) Yes, that was me a D&D bait shop and boat ramp in Matlacha , FL .
I am going to get some aluminum JB weld and fill the holes.... any other thoughts on how to fill the holes would be appreciated.
Cheers.

First you need to ID the cause. Fixing it Now may be fruitless if it is still spreading. Likely there is a chemical change causing the corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If there are pin holes, the material thickness is probably very thinned out.

After patching the holes, I would rivet on aluminium patch larger than the affected area. Use sealant around the perimeter of it.

Another alternative would be to epoxy the metal patch on, then you won't have to drill holes. If it comes off some day, so what.

I had some pinhole corrosion on an aluminum boat that sat on carpeted bunks and it was a saltwater boat. I abraded the snot out of it, washed/etched it with vinegar whilst scrubbing it w/copper scrubbie pads, then primed w/ epoxy-based zinc chromate (or use the spray paint version), then applied West Systems G-Flex 650, which is a flexible epoxy (kit is ~ $20), and it worked perfectly!

Latest posts