this rustoleum paint i found

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwar822

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C018C2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

RUST-OLEUM 8781502 Gray Alum Primer

would this primer be ok for aluminum boat? after using this primer would i then use a reg metal primer and then paint it?

ive been stressing over what brand and type of paint to get lol i just want to make sure this would be ok

then il use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001005RH0/ref=psdc_13399671_t1_B000C018C2

Rust-Oleum 7780502 Protective Enamel Paint

then i can pick what ever rusto enemal paint i want for color and im done (i hope)

I would do some research if it's a problem to put oil base enamel over the latex primer in you link. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will chime in.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

for some reason painting this boat has been the hardest thing to do just figuring out what to get to paint it.. i wanted to paint it a nice teal / aqua color but to do so is just about impossible... i dont know allot about painting aluminum .. i found a brand of paint with everything i need but its like 200$ for what id need and its for a big boat that sits in the salt water at the marina.. i just need a paint that is good for a boat that will be on a trailer and maintained very well...i guess i can just go with tractor paint and paint it white idk... if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.. i had some amazon links in my original post but it seems not to work on the computer.. shows up in my phone tho, weird...

I used rustolem enamel paint for my mod and am happy with it.
I applied aluminum self etching rattle can to prime any bare aluminum.
Any sections of the boat that I didn't take down to bare aluminum were just scruffed up with a light sanding and coated with 2 light brushed on coats of rustolem enamel primer. The final coat I used rustolem top coat marine enamel. Two light coats using roll and tip method. All the paint was oil based enamel. I have since learned that you can add a hardener additive to the top coat to make it more scratch resistant. I did it all without breaking the bank. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

If your boat already has a layer of factory paint that isn't pealing off - that's your primer. Scuff it slightly with a Scotch Brite pad, wipe it down with a car-wash brush and a garden hose. Once it's dry, regular old Rustoleum enamel paint will work as good as anything. I always add an enamel hardener to Rustoleum enamel because without a hardener, it takes a long, long time to fully dry. I've sanded Rustoleum enamel weeks later and had it gum up my sand paper where it wasn't completely hard yet.

Painting bare aluminum is hard. Aluminum has a low "surface energy". That means that all of the available molecular bonds are already in use so it's hard to get paint (or anything else) to chemically bond to the surface.

If you have a boat with bare aluminum, you still have options. Scuff the surface to get rid of that atom-thin layer of aluminum oxide. Then an etching primer or, if you can find it, zinc chromate primer. After the primer, you now have a surface paint will stick to so just paint normally.

Whatever you do, oil paint over latex paint is not going to adhere very well.

Red boat is on its third year with rustoleum paint job. Add hardener. Spray or roll. Red boat sprayed, blue boat rolled. The color holds up and when it fades,, more rustoleum.
Self etching primer on bare aluminum, very thin coat. Red oxide primer over top. Sand smooth. Topcoat with rustoleum and hardener. If sprayed a good hot thinner such as laquer thinner or acetone works well, helps it flash quicker.
446ebb2d2fb5167a9145e64960ae97b7.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts