Here we go again, boat #2, Got it wet 11-5 w/pics and video

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Codeman

Here we go again, boat #2, Got it wet 11-5 w/pics and video

Post by Codeman »

OK guys if you may have seen my other 2 posts going about my second boat that I traded for. I'm going to start a new thread and put it all together here. So without further adieu I give you project boat #2. Oh and no project #1 ain't done either. LOL

Here is what I started with done some trading with a friend of mine my ATV for this and some cash. This is how it sat when we went to get it. It's a 1974 Ouachita 1848 flat bottom with a 1976 Merc 500 50hp outboard with a jet pump.

It hadn't ran in about 10 years, so after a new ignition trigger, rebuilding the carbs, and Broncoman helping me sort out the train wreck that was someones sick joke for wiring the motor started and that is where it is for now.
Last edited by Codeman on 06 Nov 2008, 00:11, edited 8 times in total.
If it wasn't for the last minute I'd never get anything done.

Codeman

Here we go again, boat #2, project underway.

Post by Codeman »

So this week has been transom rebuild week. The transom board was rotted out of it and I wasn't a fan of how the transom extension had been done for the jet either. All of the old was ripped out and the rebuild has begun.

Here is what I had once all of the old was ripped out.

Since the top cap was cracked from the stress of the extension and rotted board I went ahead and cut it off.

We laminated up 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood (it still needs to be sealed in the pics) and extended it so that it will go all of the way up in the new extension.

Then Broncoman and myself bent up some Aluminum for the new extension and top cap.

We made it long enough outside so that it would cover the many holes that are in the back of the boat as well as the damage that having steel bolted to aluminum for many years caused.

The double braces will be replaced with a large single brace in the middle that will go all of the way up on the extension to support the motor up high. The corners will all be triangulated back to the sides of the boat like most boats with raised transoms you'll see. That's it for now. I hope to get a lot more done next week. Next is to drill all of the holes in the new transom board and the aluminum plates to make up a nice big aluminum and plywood sammich. :lol:
Last edited by Codeman on 04 Nov 2008, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.

SlimeTime

Post by SlimeTime »

That'll make a sweet boat when you're done with it!

ST

dedawg1149

Post by dedawg1149 »

that is going to be a nice boat
The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings »

Ditto, gonna be a nice one! Nice work on the transom board! 8)
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

ShadowWalker

Post by ShadowWalker »

Wish I coulda found something that big in my price range. Look forward to following this!
"Nature has been for me, for as long as I remember, a source of solace, inspiration, adventure, and delight; a home, a teacher, a companion."

FishFry

Post by FishFry »

Great boat, look foward to seeing where it goes from here. Transom week just started for me here.

russ010

Post by russ010 »

Looks great dude!

1 Question - did you seal the holes you were referring to prior to putting the piece of aluminum over the backside?

Codeman

Post by Codeman »

russ010 wrote:Looks great dude!

1 Question - did you seal the holes you were referring to prior to putting the piece of aluminum over the backside?
Not yet not quite there. Most of the holes will be used not sure how I will seal off the ones I'm not using yet but the plate will be sealed to the back of the boat too. I still need to drill all of the holes anyway. I hope to have an update tonight.

ben2go

Post by ben2go »

Codeman wrote:
russ010 wrote:Looks great dude!

Not yet not quite there. Most of the holes will be used not sure how I will seal off the ones I'm not using yet but the plate will be sealed to the back of the boat too. I still need to drill all of the holes anyway. I hope to have an update tonight.

If the holes will be covered,you could use 3M 5200 marine sealant.

Codeman

Post by Codeman »

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Broncoman

Post by Broncoman »

I still need to drill all of the holes anyway. I hope to have an update tonight.
Great that means I can't lay on the couch and watch T.V. tonight at work. :D

Codeman

Post by Codeman »

That's right. So be ready I'll be down around 6:00 you lazy bum. :mrgreen:

TOTONKA

Post by TOTONKA »

Looks like a nice rig. Mind sharing what ya gave for it? I say the motor is/was tiller drive, but there was a control box screwed to the side... I hope for safety sake you will either fix the tiller throttle or go to a console steering setup.

I had a mercury 1150 and I know how problematic that old wiring can be. The insulation is usually turning to powder and any exposed wiring is green.

Here is the wiring diagram I found for an old Merc. 800 Maybe it will help.
https://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wiring/1966ona/31.jpg

If the motor is electric start and the polarity was ever reversed, that may be one of MANY reasons why it doesn't start. Then you would want to swap out the ignition module and coil with a CDI ignition $250 and change out the voltage regulator for a bridge wave rectifier <$5 (radioshack).

Check out the iboats forum for stuff about your motor, it helped me alot.

That's what I had to do...