Must add items for onboard tool boxes.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatbottomman

Reaction score
I am starting to put together an on-board tool box. I have no idea where to start.What are the items I should put in it?

First aid kit
Shear pins
Cotter keys
Prop nut
Prop nut wrench
Spare prop
Spare spark plugs
Spark plug wrench
Drift punch
Small hammer
Slotted screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Socket set
Black tape
Horn
Matches
Sun screen
The kitchen sink

What? Your tinny doesn't have a kitchen sink built it? Geeze, get with the program...

:lol:

I keep duct tape, adjustable wrench, pliers, side cutters and a screwdriver. I go over my boat at home, have an trolling motor as a back up. Only going to be able to do simple repairs on the water such as prop or a loose wire or a loose fastener. Anything else is going to require parts I don't have. Always tell someone exactly where you plan to go. Don't overthink the repair kit.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

A few things that I've needed and/or use the most:

On the boat at all times
A paddle
Long jumper cables
Gorilla tape
Zip ties
Adjustable wrench
Side cutters
solder, solder gun, heat shrink, spare electical wire
Prop wrench, spark plug socket
Screw drivers
Good scissors
Spare prop
Spare tire for trailer on the trailer

In the truck at all times
jack for the trailer
Two sets of replacement bearings, cotter pins, grease for bearings

uttexas said:
A few things that I've needed and/or use the most:

On the boat at all times
A paddle
Long jumper cables
Gorilla tape
Zip ties
Adjustable wrench
Side cutters
solder, solder gun, heat shrink, spare electical wire
Prop wrench, spark plug socket
Screw drivers
Good scissors
Spare prop
Spare tire for trailer on the trailer

In the truck at all times
jack for the trailer
Two sets of replacement bearings, cotter pins, grease for bearings

I'd also encourage everyone to carry a 4 way tire iron. Most on here have small boats and I bet if you took your tire iron for your tow vehicle and placed it on a trailer wheel lug it wouldn't fit! I know mine doesn't on my half ton truck. What may be more frustrating than not having a spare at all and needing it would be having one and thinking to yourself "at least I have a spare" and then not being able to even get the tire off the trailer.

In addition to tools, I also carry:

A roll of steel wire
wire ties
duct tape
a roll of electrical wire
spare fuses
glow sticks (hard to work on something in the dark, the don't need batteries, and they last for years)

I used to carry a lot but not anymore. As said above, I carry more for the trailer than I do for anything else. I have three motors on my boat so I will get back to the launch somehow. I carry a way to change a prop, a spare bilge pump, the fuses I need, a Leatherman tool, some duct tape and that's about it. On my Sylvan with the big V6 I carry a NoCo battery jump pack, because even though it came with a rope and handle to pull start it if I need to, I sure don't want to. I probably carry more to fix my fishing gear than to fix the boat.

Latest posts