Fasteners for wood floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtf

Reaction score
Finishing up a 1648 fly fishing jet. Going to sell or trade for a bigger prop tunnel. I run some big-rock rivers in the NC/TN mountains. The new marine plywood floor is two pieces, primed with old-timers and finished with rustoleum gray. It's tough! Using wide abrasive safety tape for traction under-foot.

Are rivets or ceramic coated (self-tapping concrete screws) best to fasten the floor to the ribs? Had a Lowe tunnel for many years, the plywood floor was set in without fastening and easy to pick up and clean under, a feature that's required.

So the new boat needs a floor that is removable, can get the factory skin, but is it the best for my application? I DON"T LIKE CARPET! And it has to be removable to make repairs and to clean hull a couple times a season. Thinking of ordering without floor.

I think it is very smart to think ahead for when future maintenance is going to be needed. If you liked the floating floor on your old Lowe tunnel, here is a thought. Lay the floor in and hold it down with some strategically placed aluminum angle pieces attached to where the bench sides meet the floor (or whatever vertical surface meets the floor). If this configuration would work in your boat, then it would be simple to remove the angle pieces and lift the floor out. Side benefit is you don't have to drive any kind of fastener into the ribs.

Latest posts