Anyone familiar with Princecraft Pro 16' boats early 2000's?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluega

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at buying a Princecraft Pro 162, 164, or 166 built in the early to mid 2000's (I'm in Ontario Canada and there are a bunch here). I plan to use it mostly as a skiing and camping trip boat (I like aluminum because it is light and durable). I could get a newer legend for the same price, but I've read that Princecraft is a better boat. I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer some questions for me:

- How do these boats handle and feel in choppy water compared to other 16' aluminum fishing boats from this era?
- How well do these boats hold up compared to other popular aluminum fishing boats in this size?
- Is there any particular features or flaws I should be keeping an eye out for when choosing one?
- Are they filled with foam to keep them from sinking and do you think this is likely to have held up over the years?
- Are these too old of boats to bother with? Maybe I should be looking at the newer 164 sport instead.
- Any other input?

Thanks,
Bluega

I had a 167 Pro made in 1994 for 20 years. Sold it recently because we didn't use it due to our age, etc. It was an excellent boat, never a problem and I truly believe it would last a lifetime. Took it out one time on Lake Michigan and returned in 6' waves. It got us home safely. Don't have anything good to say about the Evinrude 40 hp that it came with though. I put on a Honda 40 just before we sold it. Buyer got a good deal.

Those are some big waves for a 16' boat! I will try to steer clear of that year evenrude motor.

No doubt princecraft is a good boat. Lots of Lund around me as well (Owen Sound). As for legend, I am seeing quite a few both older and new but I've only welded on one. It was a split seam and I think it was a fluke otherwise I'd have seen more of them. You mentioned camping. We do several yearly trips interior on the French river and other places where we are pulling the boats up on the shore. You want a tough bottom if you are doing this on typical shield lakes and rivers. I'd widen the search to include Lund.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

My cousin has a Princecraft, I think it's a 16 footer so I'll check the model. I've never been in it so I can't say much for the ride but it looks like it cuts through wakes pretty well. His has a side console and a 4 stroke Mercury. Anything of that age, I would guess the flotation foam is past it's prime. My 2001 Lowe absorbs a lot of rainwater and it takes several days for it all to drip back out once I take the boat out of the water for the season.

Weldorthemagnificent, that's very much what I'd like to be able to do, pull the boat right up on rock, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to do that with 16', 90hp, loaded with stuff. Beaching is probably more realistic for me. Do you think the lunds have a sturdier bottom then princecrafts? The only thing I'm not liking about lund is it seems the full bowrider setups (driver, passenger, rear, and bow seats) are not very common.

JL8Jeff, that does concern me about the foam deteriorating and water sitting around down there. It's one reason I have been also considering something like a Boston Whaler with unibond. But 16' unibond dual console or bowrider are pretty much nonexistent. And I do prefer the durability of aluminum...

My friend has a 17' Lund. 2000 model with a Yammy 115 4 stroke. Exceptional boat. I run a couple utility timmies, a 16' Naden and a 12' Harbercraft I like the utilities for camping but the Lund gets used in Georgian Bay for downrigging. Options are to find sandy sites to pull the big boat up on or to anchor it front and back and wade in. If you are pulling up on rocks, glue a plastic strip on the bow strake.
a88a0720f0970841b87ca0db440c5a5c.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts