In boat rod holders/storage?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
What have you all done for in boat rod storage/holders? I have a mostly open shallow semi v aluminum 12 ft and have a few ideas but would really like to see the ingenuity of what members here have come up with.

Bought some 6 place rod holders and cut them in half. River and zip tie to the seat braces. Been good for 3 years so far.
7a045dfa0bdf13ac4b901c4c23708a2b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I have some from Moeller like the pic below, except mine has three holders. I added a bungee to make sure the rods say in.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.46.47 PM.png

I like this style from Attwood because it has the velcro strap to hold the rods in.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.48.56 PM.png

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Bought some 6 place rod holders and cut them in half. River and zip tie to the seat braces. Been good for 3 years so far.

Looks good. I wish I had that much free board to mount a set.

LDUBS said:
I have some from Moeller like the pic below, except mine has three holders. I added a bungee to make sure the rods say in.

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 4.46.47 PM.png

I like this style from Attwood because it has the velcro strap to hold the rods in.

I agree with you there, velcro would be the way to go. Do you happen to have a pic of your holders in your boat, Ldubs?

I've used the Moeller holders for decades. They used to be very common, but I had to look hard to find any for my current boat.

One thing I like about them is they give you 2 options. You can push the holders apart and put the rod into the inner hole and it will not move when trailering. Then push the rod into the outer hole and it will be easy to remove it when fishing.

Here's a few ideas.
No drilling into the boat or cooler.

1. Cut PVC board to desired length
2. Drill rod holder into PVC board
3. Lexel the back of the PVC board and adhere where you want the rod holder

rodholders.png

coosa said:
I've used the Moeller holders for decades. They used to be very common, but I had to look hard to find any for my current boat.

One thing I like about them is they give you 2 options. You can push the holders apart and put the rod into the inner hole and it will not move when trailering. Then push the rod into the outer hole and it will be easy to remove it when fishing.

That's a nice option and would work perfect for me. Best of both.

LDUBS said:
bikerider said:
I agree with you there, velcro would be the way to go. Do you happen to have a pic of your holders in your boat, Ldubs?

Hopefully you can see them in this pic.

Inside2.JPG

Yep, sure can. Thank you. You have a great spot to store the rods and also a very nice fishing boat!

uttexas said:
Here's a few ideas.
No drilling into the boat or cooler.

1. Cut PVC board to desired length
2. Drill rod holder into PVC board
3. Lexel the back of the PVC board and adhere where you want the rod holder

rodholders.png

How has the Lexel held up over time?

Lexel holds up over time when the surfaces are prepped well.
No problems encountered

1 Clean the PVC board and boat area with isopropyl alcohol
2 Rub the surfaces with 150 grit
3 Clean again with isopropyl
4 Apply Lexel--use gorilla tape/clamps/weights to improve bonding as the Lexel cures

Lexel fully cures in 5-7 days (moisture curing polyurethane).
It cures clear, paintable, and extremely strong, but slightly flexible.
Easier to work with and more forgiving than 3M 5200

5 Day 5-7 Remove gorilla tape/clamps/weights

LDUBS said:

I like these and have been using them for a while but the rubber deteriorates after a couple years and they start falling appart. I have been able to extend the life a little by making some metal straps using SS welding wire to hold them in place.

Weldorthemagnificent said:

Pretty much the same setup I use, but I use 4 place-The only bad part is that the bottom 3 will only fit a 5'6" rod. Top one will accomodate about 8' but the longest end hangs over the front deck (low deck).

surfman said:
LDUBS said:

I like these and have been using them for a while but the rubber deteriorates after a couple years and they start falling appart. I have been able to extend the life a little by making some metal straps using SS welding wire to hold them in place.

That is good to know. I was thinking those might be an upgrade. I think I'll just keep using the bungies with what I've got.

Latest posts