It's not tin, but it is interesting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
Wood, Cellulose 3D-printed 25-foot boat in Maine.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2019/10/10/umaine-launches-largest-3d-printer/?fbclid=IwAR2QIfG0qq11wqFxc3Fw8iEyBz5BHJR2ShRd9SYeC-7Kjtsux7nW6we5IR4

Kinda neat how the hull supports get printed right along with the hull. Quite interesting to watch in a time-lapse, but 4 days to print it? Wow, must be boring to watch in real time.

Roger

Integral supports. That is how lots of 3D structures are made. It can allow for strength that couldn't be added any other way.

Every 3D demo that I've seen takes a long time. They are just putting on a drop of material at a time.

Since the Hobbiest sized 3D printers are getting cheaper, I may to buy one just to mess around.

The article says it weighs 2.5 tons / 5000 pounds. Is that heavy or light for a 25' open boat?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
The article says it weighs 2.5 tons / 5000 pounds. Is that heavy or light for a 25' open boat?

I saw the same thing. I figured maybe the Navy needs a heavy boat (why I don't know) or maybe just a side effect of the new technology. Still, pretty heavy.

I'd like to know what they used for the material. It says cellulose like it's plant matter of some sort. Maybe it's been turned to a plastic of some sort and that's what has been used. That's pretty interesting stuff though.

Maine is a big forestry State.

It sounded to me like they want to expand the use of wood/cellulose products

Mix cellulose and epoxy and make boats out of them.

As already pointed out here, though, if the resulting boats are way heavier than the competition, then the idea isn't going anywhere fast.

They are 3D printing buildings out of concrete now. Crazy times. The days of the Jetsons where you just ask the computer for whatever you want are getting closer.

Latest posts