Roll and Tip- what am I doing wrong

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tloc1000

Reaction score
I'm using Rustolium topside paint over self etching primer. I've sanded the primer with 200 sandpaper. When I roll and tip. There are still brush marks in the paint. I'm barely running the brush over the paint. Am I putting too thin a coat on? This is for the 1st coat. Will I need to sand between coats?

I've never used that kind of paint, but have done a lot on cabinets and woodwork. I can offer that it is important to keep a wet edge. Once the paint starts to dry at all, you are going to see the brush marks. Can't say much about your throw away brush other than I wouldn't use one for a fine finish. I always use a decent brush.

I don't know Rustoleum top side paint. I have used a lot of the "regular" Rustoleum enamel paint. Check the label on the topside paint to confirm that it can be thinned with acetone. The "regular" Rustoleum allows acetone as a paint thinner. A little acetone makes a big difference in how smoothly the paint flows and thinning the paint a little helps the paint to self-level much better.

And, use a quality brush. The finer bristles will leave a smoother finish.

I also like to use an enamel hardener in Rustoleum paint. Without hardener, Rustoleum can take a long, long time to dry. I have sanded paint several weeks after the painting was done and had the paint gum up my sandpaper. The paint felt dry to the touch but wasn't.

Hardener also leaves a harder finish once it is dry. Hot rod and car restoration guys on a budget often spray with Rustoleum. They thin with acetone and add a hardener. I use Valspar Enamel Hardener. Follow the directions on the can. Works great.

Kibitzing here - If you add hardener, wear an activated carbon filter mask, even if brushing.
Hardener is made from isocyanate & is really bad for you.

Thanks ! I went to the hardware store and asked the paint Dept what I needed, I bought a fine bristle brush and he too suggested to thin the paint. I thinned and used the fine brush but it seemed to dry really quickly. It was sunny and the tin was getting pretty warm. It was the 1st coat, so I'm going to sand a little and try to thin some more and paint in the morning when it's cooler. It was about 60 this morning so I think that should be perfect.

Grizzly Tohatsu 20.jpg

What kind of roller are you using? I did the roll and tip using Epiphanes mono urethane but skipped the tip part. I used a 4" foam roller. Keep the roller wet and overlap the coverage but don't go backward as it drys fast and you will leave lines. By the third coat I got the hang of it. I have not used Rustoleum products. I used 400 grit between coats. Helps hold the paint. I also used a tac cloth after cleaning sanded coats.

Again, I've not used the specific product you are using, but will offer the following. Make sure you are putting enough paint down with the roller before you tip it off. This is not the time for a real light coat. And as Fyr says, one pass with the brush and you are done. Do it while the paint is wet. Don't go back over anything. It should level out pretty well.

I’m using a 4” foam roller. It turned out better than what i thought. I’ve done 2 coats and have enough paint for a 3rd.

I’ve got my daughter rolling and I’m coming right behind her so it’s not drying as fast.

tloc1000 said:
I thinned and used the fine brush but it seemed to dry really quickly. It was sunny and the tin was getting pretty warm. It was the 1st coat, so I'm going to sand a little and try to thin some more and paint in the morning when it's cooler. It was about 60 this morning so I think that should be perfect.
*******************************************************************************************************************
Get out of the sun. Between the sun, and the already warmed up metal, that's helping the paint dry quicker than you can get on the second step of tipping. Once you have it painted, THEN roll it outside for a drying spell.

Roger

GTS225 said:
tloc1000 said:
I thinned and used the fine brush but it seemed to dry really quickly. It was sunny and the tin was getting pretty warm. It was the 1st coat, so I'm going to sand a little and try to thin some more and paint in the morning when it's cooler. It was about 60 this morning so I think that should be perfect.
*******************************************************************************************************************
Get out of the sun. Between the sun, and the already warmed up metal, that's helping the paint dry quicker than you can get on the second step of tipping. Once you have it painted, THEN roll it outside for a drying spell.

Roger

X2. I think this is really good advice.

I'm not a fan of foam rollers or brushes, but a lot of others like them.

GTS225 said:
tloc1000 said:

Roger

I waited until the boat was shaded to put on a second coat. It worked better.

Latest posts