21" transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snips

Reaction score
I recently got back into a tin, bought a 14' Smoker Craft Voyager with a 15 johnson.Boat has a 20" transom, and the motor is a long shaft, but it seems too high.Anybody have to cut down their transom for a Johnson?I know outboards are not all 20",mine is about 18" from the mount to the cav plate.Its not a short shaft(I have one and checked it against this motor).Should i take off an inch and go from there?The prop blows out in waves, and when you reverse, it just pushes water agains the transom.OR get a jackplate?Thanks!

snips said:
I recently got back into a tin, bought a 14' Smoker Craft Voyager with a 15 johnson.Boat has a 20" transom, and the motor is a long shaft, but it seems too high.Anybody have to cut down their transom for a Johnson?I know outboards are not all 20",mine is about 18" from the mount to the cav plate.Its not a short shaft(I have one and checked it against this motor).Should i take off an inch and go from there?The prop blows out in waves, and when you reverse, it just pushes water agains the transom.OR get a jackplate?Thanks!

I had a 15 hp Johnson short shaft, it measured 17.5. I now have a 20 hp Tohatsu long shaft it’s about 23”. A long shaft should be 20 + short shaft 15+
I also have a 25 hp Merc long shaft, it’s about 21.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First post a pic of the motor. If it really is a long shaft, then before I went cutting any transom, I'd be looking at a mini jack plate so you can bolt it on and lower the motor without cutting.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

My grizzly 1448 has a 17.5 transom and I put a 20hp Tohatsu 16" shaft on it [SS]. Im still trying to figure out trackers thinking on that 17.5 transom.. I had a mini jacker plate so I mounted the engine to that and put 2 2x3" aluminum rectangle plates as the mini jacker didn't go back far enough to clear the thumb screws. Lowered the engine 1" at a time till I got good performance. 6100 rpm at WOT 24 mph and no back spray or blow outs. Also went from 11.5 prop to 10. Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20190123_094034052.jpg
    IMG_20190123_094034052.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 539

Latest posts