decking/hatch latches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkoutmyjunk

Reaction score
I need some help selecting a latch.

I use my boat for transporting and found myself using boards to make the center seat and front deck one big deck. I got the idea to make a removable deck that I could just drop in when I am hauling stuff and remove when I'm not.

I don't like the idea of using wood but I had a a few sheets of 3/4" plywood around. The Plywood is resting on 1/8" thick 1"x1" angle. I added some cut down 2x3 for strength. Then coated it with kilz and what ever exterior paint I found firs in the basement.

Here are some pics:

Boards in resting on the angle
0ezs70I.jpg

Here is a shot of the angle and the edging I put on it for safety
FfRzsMX.jpg

Ribbing made it much more ridged
6LlEawA.jpg

GGhBj5S.jpg

Prime
TZlG9gj.jpg

75GavdC.jpg

Paint
Z8fhSeL.jpg

My current plan is to add a piece of z metal to secure one side to the angle on the boat
Like this
5YE46_AS02

For the other side I thought maybe a nut-cert, but would rather a latch like this
images

Problem is I need one that will work in a 3/4" price of plywood and latch over a 1/4" or so angle with edging on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank in advance

The hatches on my fiberglass Ranger are pretty thick. They are this style. Available at Amazon, it’s a Perko 0932DP1 works on decking up to 1 1/8 inches thick.

Attachments

• A79C85FF-5D23-4F6A-A9CD-B54CD86F2329.jpeg
    A79C85FF-5D23-4F6A-A9CD-B54CD86F2329.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 405

Latest posts