Building my hand built 24' plate boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkbr

Reaction score
Ok, I spent most of the afternoon loading pictures into an album. Here is most of the process of me building my 24' plate boat. I am about to leave work, but when I get home, I'll add some boat specs. I built it to be able to hold 8 to 10,000lbs of asian carp (for use in commercial fishing)

https://s358.photobucket.com/albums/oo22/sparkscustomboats/Plate%20boat%20build/

I am not worthy of viewing those pics.

AWESOME JOB!

It's close. I've had it out a couple of times. I still am planning on guide-ons on the trailer, some limited removable seating, a door for the under deck storage, and a hand full of fit/trim items. Boat does great on the water. My mystery prop put me at 43mph (GPS) with 4 guys in the boat, but it would overspeed, so for running empty I'll be stepping up in pitch. With 4 guys in the boat and a couch, the boat displaces right at 4" of water evenly front to back.

As far as the boat's specs -
24' length
76" floor (outside, inside floor is 4" above outside dimention)
102" beam (as wide as I could go and legally haul it on the road)
30" sides
60" deck
3/16" sheet bottom and transom
1/8" sheet sides, floor, deck, and consol
1/8"x2"x4" and 1/8"x2"x2" structural framework
Crossmembers are on 12" centers
Just under 2000lbs hull weight with motor and rigging
Foam for 2600lbs of floatation
sub-floor is completely isolated from underneath so as not to trap fish oil underneath
(2) 4" drains for above floor (never have to unclog drains when using boat to brush a duck blind)
standard drain for under floor cavity. (7/8" if I remember right)

I'm sure there is a ton I'm forgeting, and I have pictures of the begining of the build. I'll post them as soon as I can find them.

I am 26 yrs old, this is the first boat I've ever built, as well as the first time I've ever mig'd aluminum. I could not be happier with the way everything has turned out.

bassboy1 said:
Holy carp. What are the tons of Asian Carp used for? Ship them to Europe, make fertilizer?

Took the words right out of my head.I know Asian carp are considered an invasive species.They are sold at fresh markets in Asia.

There are two fisheries in Illinois that are buying Asian carp. One that has a guy that is fishing pretty much by contract to sell exclusively to them. I hear he is hauling around 13-15k lbs per load. I'm not sure of frequency but I know he fishes full time. The other fishery is self proclaimed as the worlds largest supplier of asian carp. In 2005, they shipped over 2 million pounds of asian carp. both fisheries ship overseas, as well as to large cities. Asian carp is actually really good meat, and I've been told it could go right along side salmon or tune depending on how it's prep'd (although I've only had it smoked). The price fluctuates, but averages around the .15 to .18 cents a pound

Just fishing on the weekends, and after fuel, a net a day, and learning curve, I should be able to make back my investment in the boat in the first month no problem.

Two questions and one statement. How do you catch that many carp? Just troll a net or something? And what would you sell that boat for if you were going to make it for somebody? I can't afford cable so I am just asking out of curiosity :) And I think when I go to heaven I will ask for the boat/couch combo. Nice work!!

Latest posts