'67 14' Alumacraft Shallow V and Trailer remodel.

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.

Xtremeboats
Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 21 Mar 2009, 21:05

Update 3/21/09

Progress was slow this week and today I got alot done.
during the week I put on two coats of the safety yellow enamel paint on both sides of the floor. This morning I swung by Lowes and picked up 7 linear feet of marine backed outdoor carpet and some other supplies. I had contact cement from when I redid my kitchen counter tops last summer. I think it was last summer, maybe it was the year before, yea it was two years ago, last summer I installed new windows and remodeld the basement. I had about 5/8 of a gallon left. I managed to get the carpet installed and the floor back in the boat.

On to the pics.
I measured off 5' of the carpet and threw down a chalk line so I could get a good straight cut. My widest part of the floor is 4', I plan to wrap 3" on each side, that leaves me a 3" fudge factor on each side.
I measured off 5' of the carpet and threw down a chalk line so I could get a good straight cut. My widest part of the floor is 4', I plan to wrap 3" on each side, that leaves me a 3" fudge factor on each side.
Cut it with my trusted box cutter. Sliced it like butter. New blades do wonderous things.
Cut it with my trusted box cutter. Sliced it like butter. New blades do wonderous things.
I attached the carpet in three sections. This gave me room to apply contact cement to 1/3 the floor and 1/3 the carpet. This left me with a 1/3 the floor as a work space. In this pic I have already installed the first 1/3 and am working on the middle third. I am waiting for the glue to dry so I can lay the carpet. I used several board to keep the carpet off the glue until I was ready. Slide the boards forward and pushed the carpet into place with my hands.
I attached the carpet in three sections. This gave me room to apply contact cement to 1/3 the floor and 1/3 the carpet. This left me with a 1/3 the floor as a work space. In this pic I have already installed the first 1/3 and am working on the middle third. I am waiting for the glue to dry so I can lay the carpet. I used several board to keep the carpet off the glue until I was ready. Slide the boards forward and pushed the carpet into place with my hands.
A detail shot of the slots for the boat ribs. This is the under side of the floor. I wrapped the carpet and glued about 3" to the bottom. I also added staples just in case.
A detail shot of the slots for the boat ribs. This is the under side of the floor. I wrapped the carpet and glued about 3" to the bottom. I also added staples just in case.
I had contact cement. I had some scrap carpet and I needed a way to deaden noise between the wood and aluminum. So I glued down some scraps of carpet where the wood makes contact with the boat support ribs.
I had contact cement. I had some scrap carpet and I needed a way to deaden noise between the wood and aluminum. So I glued down some scraps of carpet where the wood makes contact with the boat support ribs.
Last edited by Hanr3 on 21 Mar 2009, 21:42, edited 4 times in total.
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 21 Mar 2009, 21:17

Part 2 of today's update.

I had my youngest son (21) help me flip the floor over and slide it back into the boat.
Heres a detail shot of the ribs and how the v-notch worked out. In the previous post I showed you the other side of the notch.
Heres a detail shot of the ribs and how the v-notch worked out. In the previous post I showed you the other side of the notch.
I slide in my front deck structure to test fit and gain some perspective. I also laid a battery and my livewell in rough place to rough out my box for them.
I slide in my front deck structure to test fit and gain some perspective. I also laid a battery and my livewell in rough place to rough out my box for them.
I also mounted my seat to teh pedestal base and placed it in position to check some measurements. I did discover that I wont have a clearance issue with the seat and the floatation compartments I have yet to add.
I also mounted my seat to teh pedestal base and placed it in position to check some measurements. I did discover that I wont have a clearance issue with the seat and the floatation compartments I have yet to add.
I have been working on the front cover to the front deck. No pics, hothing really to show unless you want to see some pieces of wood in clamps. I did mangae to break the front cover into two pieces. Now I have to fashion up a trim board to cover my opps.

I have been mulling over the battery, livewell box off and on all week. the batteries will go under the front seat, the livewell behind it. At one point I thought about putting a small drink cooler between the battery and livewell. Plus I have alos been kicking around the idea of a storage box at the livewell end. My latest thought is the batter box, livewell, and the electrical control center with a small lock box for my registration etc. I have been drawing a lot of scetches on graph paper lately. Tomorrwo night I should have a visual for ya'll. :mrgreen:
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

'67 14' Alumacraft
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 22 Mar 2009, 21:06

Update 3/22/09

I did some more shopping, this time at Menards. Picked up a bunch of hardware for the battery/livewell/electrical control center. I spend the rest of the day cutting, notching, dadoing the sides for the box. They are clamped up and I am letting the glue dry overnight. I'll get some pics tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow night I can finish cutting the box and get the first coat of polyurathane on it.
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

daltonmcgill

Post by daltonmcgill » 22 Mar 2009, 21:22

looks good =D>

hoosierstatefisher

Post by hoosierstatefisher » 22 Mar 2009, 21:50

hi all, new to the site, but I had to say you are doing an awesome job on this boat, and the floor plan is great!

Also just want to say this site is freak'n awesome! =D>

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings » 22 Mar 2009, 22:27

Great work, Hanr3 ! 8)

Welcome Aboard, hoosierstatefisher! :)
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 24 Mar 2009, 00:26

Thanks for the kudos.

Update 3/23/09

Tonight I managed to get most of the batery/livewell/electrical section done. It's late so I'll skip to the pics.
Tongue and grooved for strength.
Tongue and grooved for strength.
One of the sides, spent most of Sunday making two of these. Tonight I trimmed them down to size.
One of the sides, spent most of Sunday making two of these. Tonight I trimmed them down to size.
This is how you get cross cut pieces exactly the same length every time. Note the board clamped to the rip fence? Don't use the cross cut fence and rip fence at the same time. Your board will get hung up and something has to give.
This is how you get cross cut pieces exactly the same length every time. Note the board clamped to the rip fence? Don't use the cross cut fence and rip fence at the same time. Your board will get hung up and something has to give.
All the pieces ready to be glued and screwed together.
All the pieces ready to be glued and screwed together.
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 24 Mar 2009, 00:36

Part 2 of tonights update.

The 1/4" luan in the side panels is loose. In other words the frame boards are routed out so the 1/4" free floats. This gives the loose pieces room to expand and contract with humidity.

So what does it look like assembled?
I still have the finishing touches to add, like a top trim ring to seal off the cooler, one cross support between the battery and cooler, some carpet or luan to teh batter end piece (haven't decided yet), wire up the electrical and hang the front seat.
Side view. I stil need a 3/4" trim ring aorund the top. That will bring me to within 1/8" of the blue part, quick silcone bead will seal any gaps.
Side view. I stil need a 3/4" trim ring aorund the top. That will bring me to within 1/8" of the blue part, quick silcone bead will seal any gaps.
partial view.
partial view.
One battery in place and room for a second battery. the blue foam is the same size as a group 27 battery. If I ever need two group 27 batteries I got the space. Right now my second battery will be a lawn tractor 12v for the nav lights and fishfinder. Note the group 27 series battery in the box fits tight side to side. It'll get a board in back and a strap to hold it in place. I should have enough room above the battery to add a charger someday.
One battery in place and room for a second battery. the blue foam is the same size as a group 27 battery. If I ever need two group 27 batteries I got the space. Right now my second battery will be a lawn tractor 12v for the nav lights and fishfinder. Note the group 27 series battery in the box fits tight side to side. It'll get a board in back and a strap to hold it in place. I should have enough room above the battery to add a charger someday.
I went with this design for the sides to gain the room in the boat. Notice the top of the sides are up tight to the livewell while the bottom has a reinforcement 1 1/4" strip. That strip serves several purposes, it holds the batteries in place so they dont slide side to side. The strips also give me planty of places to anchor the box to teh floor in the boat. I'll show more detail of the elcetrical, and anchoring the boat seat later.

One thing I still need to hash out is anchoring the cooler to the floor. Looking for ideas?
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

MikeA57

Post by MikeA57 » 24 Mar 2009, 13:43

For non-permanent anchoring of the livewell you could screw 2 eye bolts at each end into the 1 1/4" strips it rests on and run a bungee strap through the handles. This would allow you to replace it if needed or clean around it; or yank it out with you catch in it so you can clean 'em...

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 25 Mar 2009, 00:22

Thanks for the input Mike. I like that idea. I didn't think about making hte cooler removeable to haul the fish for cleaning.

Ponders for a few moments on how to make it easily removeable......................

Free thinking.
I cuold use on piece of 3/4" plywood for the top and anchor teh seat to that, use 4 maybe 6 clamps to hold it in place. Then remove it when its time to pull the cooler out.

What to do with the fill line and drain hose?
Hmmm. a union fitting for the fill line would be quick and easy. wonder if I could get the parts to install a union fitting for the drain and overflow too, and still fit within my space?

I have to do some more research. Thansk Mike for the idea. The more I think about it the more I like the idea of carrying the cooler at the end of the day. Then I dont have to bring a seperate bucket, that would be one less thing to carry. I like carrying less stuff. =D>
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 29 Mar 2009, 00:42

I did some research and a bunch of thinking. I am not going to make the livewell removeable. I couldn't find quick connectors that suited my needs, and it would take too much effort to rework the current box.

I did manage to get some things done this week. I marked my battery/lliverwell/electrical control center location on the floor. Pulled th floor up and roughed in the plumbing and electrical conduit.

The large white hose is my livewell drain hose.
The smaller white pipe is my livewell fill line.
The large grey pipe is for the sonar wire, it has a big connector.
The 4 grey conduit is for my electrical wires.
2 pipes are for the trolling motor wires, one towards the stern and the other bow.
Last 2 pipes are for the rest of the electrical wires, one bow and one stern.
3-28-09 001.jpg
3-28-09 002.jpg
3-28-09 003.jpg
3-28-09 004.jpg
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 29 Mar 2009, 00:51

Part 2 of tonights update.

I cleaned up the sawdust and dropped in the floor one last time. I think its in there until it rots away.

Here are some pics of the top side.
The two electrical pipes in the bow, one for trolling motor wires and the other for nav lights, assecorries, and maybe the cabin lights too.
The two electrical pipes in the bow, one for trolling motor wires and the other for nav lights, assecorries, and maybe the cabin lights too.
Large white tube, livewell drain.<br />Small white pipe, livewell fill.<br />and the 4 electrical pipes.<br />All of them will be within the battery/livewell/electrical contorl center.
Large white tube, livewell drain.
Small white pipe, livewell fill.
and the 4 electrical pipes.
All of them will be within the battery/livewell/electrical contorl center.
Drian line, sonar unit wire, two electrical pipes, and the livewell fill line. Livewell fill line has a union fitting on it. This way I can remove any water in the line for the winter, or pull the motor for what ever reason.
Drian line, sonar unit wire, two electrical pipes, and the livewell fill line. Livewell fill line has a union fitting on it. This way I can remove any water in the line for the winter, or pull the motor for what ever reason.
3-28-09 008.jpg
Tomorrow I plan to stain, polyurathane, and paint the remaining parts. Things should move quickly now. I want to get out on the water next weekend. We'll see how close we get.
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Hanr3

Post by Hanr3 » 29 Mar 2009, 10:45

Surprise.

We ended up getting the 5" of snow last night. It's been 50+ degrees for the past week -10 days, and last night it dumped 5" of heavy wet snow. That may slow down the drying time. I do work in my attached garage, however it doesn't have any insulation in the ceiling or the overhead door. I do have a small gas furnace in there. It does just enough to take the chill out. I left it run all night in hopes it would keep the garage 50+ so I can stain, and paint at least.
HOI Crappie Club

'67 14' Alumacraft

Waterwings

Post by Waterwings » 29 Mar 2009, 11:05

Nice work on the conduit runs, and looks well thought out! 8) . Sorry to hear about the snow.
Image1652VT RoughneckImageCarrot Stix LTX