what am I forgetting???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcgreat

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am planning my first trip with the outboard on the back of my boat. I have had the boat out before with just a trolling motor and the hull is good, but I am killing myself with the details, I feel like I am forgetting something. I have the safety items, whistle, jackets, etc. But what could I be forgetting????? I have reviewed my list several times, gone thru the trailer, checked motor, etc but I cant help but thinking I have over looked something. Please help me so my first trip will not be any more stressful than it could possibly be.

Take it easy and enjoy the ride!!! 8) How well someone handles sudden problems is to me what makes a great fisherman/boater. It sounds like you are doing a good job with your pretrip planning.

DON'T FORGET THE PLUG!!!!!

Paddle, throwable. Small tool kit. Couple of cans of sardines. You best friend, human or canine.

LOL, thanks for the quick reply guys. I have another ?. I understand that it is best to tow with the motor down if you have the height for the skeg, How high does the skeg need to be from the ground? I know there are several variables but I need a starting point.

not sure about your question above... but I know here in GA if you have gas in your boat, you have to have a fire extinguisher...

rcgreat said:
LOL, thanks for the quick reply guys. I have another ?. I understand that it is best to tow with the motor down if you have the height for the skeg, How high does the skeg need to be from the ground? I know there are several variables but I need a starting point.

Mine is at least 10" above level road. I have only had it drag one time and that was due to me jumping a curve (an idiot pulled out in front of me). How high your bumper is plays a big role in this also. I had to raise my trailer bunks so it would allow me to trailer it in the down position.

Thanks again guys, The knowledge on this site is great. I will be getting things together for the next couple day for my trip on sunday. Wish me luck.

Gary

when getting to the ramp I always make sure the drain plug is in, motor cranks, beers cold, have a spare sparkplug w/ a few tools. those are the most important :lol:

Do you have a support for your outboard. If you are towing with the outboard on the boat you should have some kind of support that goes from the motor to the cross bar on the trailer. This will prevent your motor from damaging your transom.

goat83 said:
Do you have a support for your outboard. If you are towing with the outboard on the boat you should have some kind of support that goes from the motor to the cross bar on the trailer. This will prevent your motor from damaging your transom.

Do I need a transom saver even if I am towing with the motor down? I think I have the clearance that i will need to make sure the motor does not drag.

rcgreat said:
goat83 said:

Do I need a transom saver even if I am towing with the motor down? I think I have the clearance that i will need to make sure the motor does not drag.

Although you may have the ground clearance to tow with the motor in the down position, I would add a transom saver. The motor will still cause some movement, even though it may be slight, to the transom. Just my .02 worth :wink:

Latest posts