Tilt trim options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtsarby

Reaction score
I have a 1990 Mercury/tracker 60hp Outboard. The tilt trim is on its last leg. I am looking for a replacement. The Sierra motor, 18-6777, is about $280. I have found other motors on eBay for around $125. Do I need to stick with Sierra or would the other motors be fine?

I forget the name, but I've bought a few off eBay for 1/2 the price of a Sierra unit and they all worked fine! All I remember is that the company is an ISO 9000 approved company.

nccatfisher said:
Most of the time it is just the brushes on the motor.
I took a Mercruser trim pump motor to a local electric motor, starter and alternator shop. They called me and said it was fixed before I got back to the house. Find a local shop and see what they can do if it's actually a motor problem and not in the hydrolics.

Stumpalump said:
nccatfisher said:
I took a Mercruser trim pump motor to a local electric motor, starter and alternator shop. They called me and said it was fixed before I got back to the house. Find a local shop and see what they can do if it's actually a motor problem and not in the hydrolics.
Glad you mentioned that - as that sure is the thing to try 1st! For whatever reason, for shops near me ... it was cheaper to buy the new replacement. It may be they just weren't 'hungry' for the work ... old corroded housing & bolts et al.

DaleH said:
Stumpalump said:
nccatfisher said:
Glad you mentioned that - as that sure is the thing to try 1st! For whatever reason, for shops near me ... it was cheaper to buy the new replacement. It may be they just weren't 'hungry' for the work ... old corroded housing & bolts et al.

I hear you. The last one on my Johnson 60 snapped the bolts when I went to take it apart. I bought a used eBay motor that did not work then bought the cheapest new motor available. It worked great as long as you held the trim button while thumping t with a rubber mallet. I sold the boat with the rubber mallet. Need to remember to pick one up at Harbor Freight. Lol.

I hear you. The last one on my Johnson 60 snapped the bolts when I went to take it apart. I bought a used eBay motor that did not work then bought the cheapest new motor available. It worked great as long as you held the trim button while thumping t with a rubber mallet. I sold the boat with the rubber mallet. Need to remember to pick one up at Harbor Freight. Lol.[/quote]

HAHA Sounds like one of those craigslist for sale ads. Car is "LIKE NEW except for the seized engine, easy fix, just don't have time"

More times than not if you can get into the motors easily if it is related to the issue it will be the brushes stuck in their holders. They are bad to corrode up over time and you can take them out and clean them and be good to go. Occasional you will have to replace the brushes, all this is barring no water intrusion.

Well. The motor was shot. I have a new one on the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts