Typical Carb Problem?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Does this sound like carb problems? "Yamaha 9.9 runs fairly well, but does have some problems 1) Engine speed fluctuates after running for 20-30 minutes 2) Motor will often stall if trying to maintain a very slow speed, such as within a marina 3) Smokes from under the engine cover when first starting, and for 5-10 minutes while engine is warming up."

It seems this might be something a good carb cleaning or kit would take care of. I know it's hard to diagnose off only this, but if you had to guess...

ober51 said:
3) Smokes from under the engine cover when first starting, and for 5-10 minutes while engine is warming up."

It sounded like possible carb symptoms until I read #3. Take the cover off and see where the smoke is coming from.

FuzzyGrub said:
ober51 said:
3) Smokes from under the engine cover when first starting, and for 5-10 minutes while engine is warming up."

It sounded like possible carb symptoms until I read #3. Take the cover off and see where the smoke is coming from.

I cant do that until I go look at the motor. What could the smoke be?

Sounds like it's leaking exhaust in to the engine cowling. Try running the motor without the cowling.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Sounds like it's leaking exhaust in to the engine cowling. Try running the motor without the cowling.

I guess my question is whether its worth buying. Is that an extensive/expensive problem to fix?

ober51 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

I guess my question is whether its worth buying. Is that an extensive/expensive problem to fix?

OK, didn't know the info was from the sales add. It would not be at the top of my list to go see, especially if not familiar with small outboard repairs. It could be someone that is being brutally honest, or it could be the tip of the iceburg. Most I've seen are the latter. The motor doesn't run well, and they like to portray the problems as a simple fix.

ober51 said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

I don't know about the cost or the difficulty fixing it. Try asking on www.Iboats.com before writing it off. It would probably involve pulling the power head and replacing a gasket.

Latest posts