What type of oil for lower unit?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyPomeroy

Reaction score
I am relatively new to boating, and I am going to change out the lower unit oil in my outboard when I put it away for the season. I have seen it done and have a pump. I just don't know what type of oil do I need?

It's 80W 90 gear oil. API GL-5 rated.

Some say there are differences in the additives making the 'marine' gear lube more water resistant than the 'automotive,' but I've yet to see any differences in the MSDS that would suggest that.

Any auto parts store or Walmart would have it both in a bottle labeled for automotive use, and one labeled for marine use (and labeled with a higher price). Take your pick.

I personally don't feel there is anything to be gained by going to synthetic gearlube on these smaller engines. The difference would be immeasurable, for all intents and purposes.

Regular maintenance on your outboard is critical to its longevity and performance.80W-90 gear oil,good one in this regard...mostly used in it.

You can buy marine grade lower unit oil at Menard's for only a dollar more than regular auto lube.Worth it for only a dollar more.

Latest posts