Outboard steering questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcampbell011

Reaction score
Alright guys I have been researching for awhile and I need a couple things cleared up. I have a 1983 40hp Mercury that I bought to install on my boat. The boat was previously ran with a tiller and I am adding a console and steering wheel. This means there is NO current steering setup.

I will be buying a steering system, I am thinking uflex rotary system. The question I have is about the tilt tube. Is there a rod or something that goes in there? Or does the steering system just pass through and connect to the "steering arm" on the other side.

Basically I want to know what else I need to buy besides the uflex system and a steering wheel.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help that I get on here.

You will need a "Steering Link". It's the rod that goes from the end of the steering cable to the motor.

Cool thanks for the reply. Are steering links specific to each outboard? Or more universal?

Heres a picture of my motor if it helps. That isn't the steering link I already have, is it? I know its a bad angle, sorry.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 492
You can find a lot more about what your motor needs by going to somewhere like boats.net, selecting Mercury, then inputting your serial number. A set of links will come up with various parts drawings of the break down of your particular engine. It will include the items that come with the motor from the factory.

You have a steering linkage/arm on your motor now and I see you have a hollow hinge/steering tube. You will need parts that match up to what you have now and will likely need o-rings, etc for the steering tube that is on your motor now. The end of the steering cable will pass through the steering tube and will attach at the "loose" end of the linkage arm you have pictured. You will need water proof grease, likely a couple inexpensive o-rings to seal the tube and the appropriate nuts. If you check the port/left hand side of the motor, the nut on that side is close to the one of the o-rings I mentioned. There's likely a groove just inside the steering tube there.

For an example, since I don't have your serial number, here's a link to the breakdown on my 1986 Merc 75 HP 2 cycle, which appears to be similar to yours:

Here's my swivel bracket and steering arm break down:

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/MercuryMarine/0A994929/277/160/SWIVEL%20BRACKET%20AND%20STEERING%20ARM/parts.html

Here's my transom bracket breakdown with the steering tube:

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/MercuryMarine/0A994929/277/170/TRANSOM%20BRACKET/parts.html

One o-ring goes in the tube groove inside the tube on the left, the other goes at the end of the tube on the right and the steering cable end goes through the tube and the steering cable cable nut slides over and tightens on the o-ring on the starboard/right side.

I hope my explanation makes sense.

Note: A good Mercury parts man can help you select a steering setup that will match your motor and boat real well. The did for me related to the fuel and shift cables.

Wow thank you so much! I will get my serial and try it when I get home.

The guy that sold me the motor possibly could've have kept it, thinking it was part of the steering system? He was upgrading the motor on his boat, I wonder if he has it laying around...

So in your motor's transom bracket diagram, the main part I appear to be missing would be part number 5? (I know it could be different numbers with my motor)

No, your motor has the tilt tube (#5), but it appears to be missing the nut and o-ring (#'s 6 & 7). #9 is the nut for the other end of the tube but that may come as part of the steering cable depending on your cable.

JMichael said:
No, your motor has the tilt tube (#5), but it appears to be missing the nut and o-ring (#'s 6 & 7). #9 is the nut for the other end of the tube but that may come as part of the steering cable depending on your cable.

I can't tell from your picture, but I agree with J Michael's assessment. Mine has both part #9 and a nut on the cable to hold the cable on. One o-ring goes at the end of the tube and inside the nut on the steering cable.

Latest posts